1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Throwing up after exercising??

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by breakingboxes, Apr 15, 2012.

1. breakingboxes

Why would this be happening? I eat a few hours before or wait till after, but it does not help. It happens almost every time I run.

2. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've thrown up a couple of times after (and during) exercizing as well. For me, though, it's mostly when I do too much, like more than I actually can. During the exercise I can bring myself to do it, but mostly afterwards it backfires. Could it maybe be that you are pushing your body beyond its limits by running too far or too hard as well? Cause in that case I can imagine our bodies responding like that.

Also, I think it's best to eat something light before you exercise. No big meal or anything, but at least something.

I'm no expert, though :slight_smile:

3. speedracing22

I've had it happen a couple times after running. The few times its happened I noticed that I pushed myself beyond what I normally would have done.

The other reason it can happen though is if you don't drink enough water and you are dehydrated, or if you drink too much water (like 2 or 3 bottles).

4. vyvance

Drinking cold water can make you sick as well.

5. KaraBulut

Most people who complain about nausea or who experience vomiting after exercise have one of two conditions- inadequate warmup/cool down or they have pushed themselves beyond their normal level of exercise.

Before exercise like running or intensive cardio, it does help to do a low-level warmup like walking. And then after intensive exercise, do a cool down that involves walking and stretching.

If you have not been running or exercising for a period of time and then you begin exercising again, you may have a period where your body has to adjust to the increased level of exertion. We often see students who have been off for the summer break who have vomiting and cramping when they return to school in the fall. A long run in PE class results in leg cramps, pain in the flanks and sometimes vomiting. As the students get back into a routine of running more often and exercising daily, the cramps and vomiting go away on their own.

6. breakingboxes

I'll try to walk more before and after, but I already do that as well as stretching. Maybe I am pushing myself too much but i have been doing this route for a while and it is not easing up. It is only a mile...

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My dear, you are overdoing it. I think you should just try some less impactful workouts. It's about continuing the workout routine. That's what gets you fitness. It's not pushing to (or over) the max every single time.

I have never thrown up after running, although I did once have to stop because I knew it would happen if I didn't. Same thing with my bowels... :icon_redf