1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is everything so tasty SO FULL OF CALORIES.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by EndlessMusic, Apr 17, 2012.

1. EndlessMusic

EndlessMusic Guest

I've been wanting to do a bit of weight losing...
    BUT OH HEO. everything. and i say. everything. that's. cheap. and yummy. is expensive.

Low fat ice cream? don't get me started tastes like someone has sucked the joy and happiness out of ice cream
    Protein shakes? Yeah okay. someone reccommended this to me. and how do you CHUG THOSE THINGS DOWN. praise the lord if i can ever finish a cup...

Rather than more rant... that sums it all up
    NOTE: LOTS OF VULGAR LANGUAGE.
    [YOUTUBE]VLOG 34: Memoirs of an Angry Fat Man... - YouTube[/YOUTUBE]

someone just give me a list of good nice edible food. before i cry. in the corner. eating ice cream huehuehue

2. RemyLeBeau

RemyLeBeau Guest

I think it's because of evolution. Centuries ago, high calorie food was good for you because it kept you alive. Now there's a ton of it, but we aren't starving. However, we still crave it. Plus all that delicious sugar and corn syrup and crap is bloody addicting as crack.

As a person who eats sauerkraut from a jar as a snack, taking any "what's tasty" advice from me is probably a bad idea...

3. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    things that are junk food and are "better" for you are still junk food.

Try eatting more whole grains. Whole wheat bread, brown rice.

Avoid sugar as best you can, if it isn't from a piece of fruit to to avoid it.

meats like chicken are marked up if they are skinless, so buy it yourself and skin it. It's not hard and takes only a few minutes, same with fruits the ones already cut up cost more then just buying it yourself and cutting it up. A few extra minutes can save you plenty of $$ at the store

4. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fruits are tasty... of course some like strawberries taste even better with sugar.... :wink:

Oranges, apples, raspberries, strawberries, watermelon, grapes, tangerines.... om nom nom.

5. shy

shy

mainly it's because fat is a flavour enhancer. It makes food taste more intensively and give it a (no idea how I should translate that word) certain enjoyable consistence.

If you want sweetish food look out for fresh fruits (not the dryed ones, they got more calories than you could imagine)
    When time for salty food keep in mind to eat raw or freshly cooked vegetables as well. Sauces, as good as they taste, are usually liquid calory bombs (to name some: ketchup, mayo, chillisauce, bbq sauce).
    A good idea to decrease the amount of food you eat may be to drink some water before eating.

6. vyvance

Things full of fat and sugar are relatively hard to come by in nature. That's why you have such a desire to eat them. A built in instinct from times before high fructose corn syrup, when eating sugar when you could was beneficial.

7. Brenny

You have to adjust your taste. I HATED vegetables before I started forcing myself to eat them. I traded out junk foods for good ones. Ex: No more hot pocket with potato chips and a corn dog for lunch. Instead, eat a good sized salad with chicken and lots of veggies. Go light on the dressing. Add fruit like strawberries for fun! (trust me) and instead of chips, add a serving of mixed nuts. There you go. A super healthy lunch.

You just have to start replacing snacks and meals with more valuable things. I like watching cooking shows and reading magazines with healthy meals in them. Seeing it makes you wanna try it. And when you cook your food, I swear it tastes so much better!

8. ameliawesome

i was going to say what BZ4591 said, you have to retrain your tastebuds. the things i find to be most tasty are the opposite of junk food: veggieful salads, fruits, granola. i do love deep fried things, i'm not a health food saint, but ultimately i pick my foods based on how they make me feel. i'm very sensitive to the tastes of salt and sugar, so too much turns me off. stop adding salt & sugar to foods, and eat more foods that are already low in salt & sugar. dull your palate to be more sensitive to flavors and more foods will be tasty :slight_smile:

9. seeksanctuary

Dementor ice cream. :[

Frankly, I suggest eating as healthy as possible most of the time, and allowing yourself to splurge here and there. If you try and cut out all junk food ALL the time, you're going to go crazy. There was a week where I was eating right most of the time and exercising, and I ate a whole pizza (over the course of two or three days)... still lost 17 pounds that week. Yes, that WEEK. :| It can be done. I don't advocate eating whole pizzas in one week or whatnot, but as long as you're good 80% of the time, you'll be fine.

10. Just Adam

If only bad food tasted bad and good food tasted good id not look like a whale

11. ameliawesome

also true. which is why sometimes i need to deep fry delicious veggies.

12. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's actually rather simple why.

Food that is actually good for you has no added preservatives, no extra corn syrup, no added sugar, etc and while in some cases (personally I've had no fat frozen yogurt and it tastes delicious though quite sure it's still not that great health wise) said food may not taste amazing it's because unlike food that is processed, or added flavours, etc, it still is bad for you. Trust me, I know it sucks, and those foods that are bad for you are so good BECAUSE that's how they make it. They make it tasty to make you come back for more. Why do you think food courts are set up all together? Because the amount of wonderful smells is going to make you buy their products.

And because they also can make so much of it in a short time, they're able to charge less which in a recession like we're in, draws us in even closer. If you've been to the grocery store you may have passed the organic aisle and as you've seen a small bottle of the Arthur's all-natural fruit blends for example is more $$ than say the box of Chips Ahoy you grab.

It's how our society has become and unfortunately it's also why I believe 1 in 3 or 1 in 5 children born today will become obese.

13. ameliawesome

Revan makes a good point: don't be brainwashed by those tricky food manufacturers! they want you to think all healthy foods are gross and you should just give in to the goodness of junk! don't fall for it! you're smarter than that! (this is supposed to be a pep talk.)

also, they're cheaper because they don't use as many whole ingredients. so you're literally paying for junk & byproducts & preservatives. which is a waste. pay for foods that feed your body :slight_smile:

you asked for a list of nice edible food, but you know that's going to vary from person to person. you seem to have a problem with your sweet tooth, so try to satisfy that with stuff like fruit instead of ice cream. make smoothies.

14. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't forget though, too much fruit isn't that great either. Keep to the food guide servings, which I believe is 4-5 servings a day. Because even the natural sugars in fruit can do some bad.

15. ameliawesome

True, though overdosing on fruit has to be better than overdosing on ice cream.

16. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I think you just need to expand your palette. There are many tasty things low on calories. Also, we struggle with being desensitized from artificially flavored food (like candy that's unnaturally good, fatty sauces that are unnaturally good, etc) that we fail to appreciate the natural and healthy foods that taste really good too. Look at it this way. If you eat candy all the time, and orange sure is boring by comparison. But if you cut way down on candy, you can better appreciate healthier foods.