1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insomnia.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Young Anonymous, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Young Anonymous

I havn't been able to get more than 1-3 hours of sleep for weeks now. Sometimes I'll go 2-3 days without any. I don't know why, it's just I lay in bed and my thoughts just over-whelm me. A lot on my mind lately. I go to bed 4-6 AM, then wake up at 7:00 to get to school. Could this be bad, and should I consider taking sleeping pills or what?

2. TraceElement

Getting that little sleep is not usual. Make an appointment to see your doctor to discuss it. It may be a simple fix in routine like limiting caffiene after a certain time, or it may be an underlying medical condition like anxiety.

You didn't mention your behaviour at school and during the evening. Are you able to concentrate? Get your work done on time? Any changes in mood? More easily angered or agitated? Any increase in caffiene intake?

If you desperately need to, take melatonin. It has been shown to help regulate the sleep pattern.
    This is just something to think about... KB will probably be along to add/elaborate/correct any info.

3. DryOasis

DryOasis Guest

I've been there. Insomnia sucks big time. The tips people say work are things like only using your bed for sleep (and sex lol), no caffeine past noon, no exercise a few hours before bedtime, etc. My insomnia just gradually vanished, I don't know how. But if you're busy during the day, sleep comes easier.

4. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have the exact same problem. Mostly I sleep a maximum of two hours a night, sometimes not at all. It's been like this for three months now. I know for me it's like you say... overwhelming thoughts, and anxiety.
    As for the sleeping pills... personally I wouldn't take them if I were you. I took them once and I felt completely numb at first, then slept for 14 hours straight. Sure it was nice to finally get some sleep, but as you can see the effects were quite heavy, and I doubt that's very healthy. Plus it is not a long-term solution. It helps you for as long as you use them, but as long as you don't deal with the underlying issues or problems, you won't be able to sleep without them.

This night was the first night since those three months I slept well; 8 hours. A LOT for me! I think it has to do with facing whatever problems you may have (you say you have a lot on your mind...) and as you deal with them, you'll get back to your normal sleeping patterns (at least that's what I hope is happening right now ;p)

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

5. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, it does.

I have tried just about everything and I still have had insomnia since I was around seven.

6. ilovecats

ilovecats Guest

I've had insomnia almost my whole life, my mom said I even had trouble sleeping as an infant. I know how you feel. I try to limit caffeine (no caffeine past five), do my best to eliminate stress, avoid taking day time naps, and I drink sleepy time tea in the evening. My therapist is thinking about putting me on medicine, but I think it wouldn't be good to rely on medicine to help you sleep. But if medicine is all that helps, then do it. But first I'd advise consulting a doctor about this problem to see other options. Good luck, and I hope your sleep gets better.

7. KaraBulut

The question is not as much about how much sleep you're getting (or not getting). It's really more about whether you're showing symptoms of being sleep-deprived- falling asleep during the day, unable to focus/concentrate, etc.

If you're having symptoms, you should make an appointment with your family physician.

8. ameliawesome

i have a similar problem. it's really not too abnormal. please please please do not take sleeping pills D: my father is addicted to ambien and it has dimmed his bulb so much. sleeping pills are bad news because it's so easy to build a dependency on them, the side effects are horrendous, and it doesn't actually take care of the real issue. more than worrying about how many hours you're getting, focus on how you're feeling. do you feel like you need more sleep? some people can function on little sleep. if you do need more sleep, figure out exactly what is making you lose sleep and take care of that. if the reason is stress, focus on how to deal with your stress during the day so that it's not bothering you at night. remove the cause, not the symptom. i lose sleep because my brain won't shut off, and i have a pretty weird way of dealing with that problem lol which i will share with you if the problem is that your brain simply won't be quiet.