1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weight Loss Tips

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by alwayshope11, Apr 20, 2012.

1. alwayshope11

Hey Everyone... I'm in the process of losing weight... I've lost about 35 pounds so far in my adventure, and have about 35 more to go to get to my goal weight.. I'm afraid that I've reached that plateau that happens during weight loss when you stop losing as much/it gets harder to lose weight.... does anyone have any tips / ways they lost weight fast?? Thanks!

2. I'm trying to lose weight too, I've lost about 25 lbs on weight watchers online alone. I just joined a gym and I've spent some time hitting the weights and cardio already. I strongly recommend finding a gym to go to. I feel so good after I leave the gym. Be prepared for some pain at first. I'm experiencing it right now. And congrats on the 35 lbs!! Do different exercises every week, or build up how much of what you're doing each week! Good luck!!!

3. TraceElement

Watch your sodium intake, it can make you retain water.
    Eat more fiber... such as fruits, veggies, whole wheat bread, and Special K snack bars. This will help you feel fuller longer reducing how much you snack.
    Continue exersizing. Increase how long your workouts are, which can help you loose more calories per workout.
    Try and track how many calories you eat in a day. I use an app called my fitness pal, and it helps me track calories, meals, workouts, and how much weight I have lost.

4. lavajava

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First off there is not magic thing that will take weight off fast, it best to slow so that way your body has time to change with the loss. Some thing that might help are :

I would change some of your work out plans, I found that I need to change works in order to loss the bit of weight.

my second tip is have fun with it, dont get stress about it. Try new activities, keep a food log, and celebrate small things like: i loss 1lbs or ran 2 miles or ate healthy today.

Good luck with reaching your goal.

5. shy

shy

I totally agree. The faster you lose weight the faster it gets up again (so called jojo-effect).

Don't give up on your excercises, you have come too far to give up just because you reached a plateau. You're on a good way.

As I can't be sure: have you checked if your goal-weight is realistic? I'm asking because a friend of mine was trying to get my BMI which is... well... unhelathy if not caused by some hormone-disorder.

My tip is to make sure you eat fruits or vegetables for snacks twice a day between main meal times. It helps controlling your hunger.
    At main mealtimes check for food balance. 1/4 meat, 1/4 carbohydrates (? I mean pasta, rice, bread and this stuff) 1/2 vegetables and/or fruits.

All the best for your goal

shy

6. alwayshope11

Thanks! I'm definitely not going to give up.. I lost three and a half pounds this week, so its going ... but yea I have definitely been eating healthier and I am going to change up my gym routine.

7. unknownerror

I would avoid the special K snack bars, as they contain high fructose corn syrup....I would in fact avoid any product that includes it...of course you really should avoid most severely processed foods.

tracking your food intake and exercise and modifying them regularly is the best way to influence proper weight gain.

8. KaraBulut

You're doing the right thing by changing your gym routine. The human body adapts to exercise, so in order to continue pushing your body to develop muscle and burn off fat, you do need to change things up and continue to push yourself with higher intensity workouts.

Something else to think about: the scale doesn't really tell you whether you're losing fat or gaining muscle. Focus more on the areas that you want to change on your body. If you want bigger arms and a smaller waist, then get out the tape measure and track your progress.

A guy with a 40" waist and a weak upper body can weigh the same as a guy with a 32" waist and a muscular upper body. The scales don't measure how much of the weight is fat. The tape measure and pictures will help you track your progress more accurately. Some gyms have the ability to measure body fat percentage and you might ask about that- it's also a good thing to track if it's available.

Oh and congrats on the weight loss.

9. DryOasis

DryOasis Guest

The 'plateau' you've reached now is important. You're gonna lose weight at a slower rate but its more likely gonna be weight that won't come back if you continue being consistent in diet and exercise. Good luck!

10. alwayshope11

Update: just wanted to update everyone! I'm one pound away from my goal weight and have lost 75 pounds so far since March,,,it's amazing how changing your eating and going to the gym a lot can do!

11. NickD

Congratulations! Holy crap you have to be so proud of your success! I know for me, I lost about 15 from Weight Watchers since the beginning of the year, but then I plateaued as well. But last week I started Slimgenix and I've already lost another 6 lbs. I realized I wasn't eating as well as I thought I was... I really pay attention to what I eat now. I get 3 proteins, 3 fruits, 3 vegetables, 3 starches, 1 fat, 2 healthy snacks a day, 8 oz of milk and 80 oz of water. I think that last one is the really important one.

How is your water intake? I thought I was getting enough but it was really only half of what I should have been drinking. From what I hear, water is the linchpin for weight loss success.

12. Jared

I agree completely with this. I started drinking a lot of water last year and it helped curb my appetite. Since then I've lost 65 lbs and am 10 lbs away from my goal, without consciously counting calories or food groups, since I'm one of those who if I try to force myself to diet I'll cave within two weeks and go back to eating crap.

13. IllusiveRannoch

haaaay, way to go dude. losing 75 lbs is pretty big. after reading some of the replies, it sort of makes not want to eat Hot Pockets again.:lol:. speaking of which, Coca-Cola's next on the food/drink removal list for me. i still like, but in small numbers. anyways, congrats

14. alwayshope11

Thanks! Yea.. Since I go to the gym a lot now, I drink a lot more water! And try lean cuisine hot pockets..aren't that bad! Lol

15. babyjax13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Replace one meal a day with ONLY fruits and veggies. No grains, no meats, no dairy. It's great because you get your daily value of fruits and veggies....and....you don't eat the junk!

16. paul

People always want the easy way or the quick way, which is why unconventional diet books are top sellers. Work out often, and eat healthy. don't believe anyone that says you can lose weight in just one part of your body, because that has been proven false. If you eat out often, buy Eat This, Not That. They have healthy options at almost all the major chains. And in the back section, it is all about healthier options at the grocery store. Don't skip meals or snacks. Just find healthier alternatives.
    Best of Luck,
    Paul

17. qboy

Nice one!

I second the stuff about avoiding the fad diets or doing this and that - every time I tried I just end up piling it back on and ending up heavier and more unhappy than when I started!

For anyone else looking at this who keeps failing miserably at sticking to diets, or who keeps finding excuses to avoid the gym, What really works are making all those small changes you can stick too:-
    • Add walking into your day - I have a wander at dinner time rather than eating at my desk, take the stairs all the time etc
    • Cut out the junk one thing at a time - I used to crave chocolate all the time, I reduced it to a weekly treat and now forget about it half the time and have it very rarely.
    • Buy some smaller plates! A large plate empty leaves you wanting to fill it up with junk, a smaller plate which is full makes you feel like you've got enough. (Why do you think buffets use small plates - people want them full but it takes 20 mins for it to register it's got fuel again).
    • Turn the TV off and look at your food while you are eating!
    • Change the meat veggies bias in your meals to lean towards the veggies
    • Where possible add extra exercise into your day - I bike to work every day now, and when it's nice I add some extra distance into the trip - I have found that the 11km round trip adds just enough exercise into the day to stop me piling weight on (e.g. in winter my weight loss plataued - however this small amount of exercise stopped me piling it back on), anything extra helps me loose it - on the nice summer days when I wake early (thanks to the "muh muh muh" of the blasted pigeons!) I can easily turn that into an enjoyable 35km round trip (~17km each way) along the river and canal (nothing to do with all the fitties that are out in the morning naturally!). - Even in Winter on the milder days it becomes pretty easy to add an extra 1km or so to the trip - as the adverts go "Every Little Helps"!
    • If you pig out don't worry about it - just don't make a habit of doing it!

All this means that in the last 12 months I have lost 20kg and feel so much better for it - 1kg left to reach the first target (my lowest recorded adult weight) and another 15kg for the proper target! :sunglasses: I'm sure if I really went into the whole hog I could have lost all that by now, but I know I wouldn't be able to stick to it and it would soon pile it back on - what I am doing now means I enjoy my "exercise", enjoy my meals and know it's something sustainable, so when some weeks I put on a couple of hundred grammes or didn't loose anything I don't loose heart, I know some weeks are going to be better than others! (remember a 1 litre bottle of water is 1kg*, so when comparing week on week you can just be hydrated to a different level - just look at the trend line to see where you're heading).

* well as near as makes no difference.

18. VanceEverett

It's hard to lose weight if you always think about it. Don't expect too much so that you will not get frustrated when you didn't get what you want. Just do your thing and don't lose your focus. That's one reason why you're losing weight slowly. Drink plenty of water and eat fruits and vegetables always.

19. smprob

I've read that, skipping meals or keeping long difference within meals, increase the tendency to store fat in the body, for later use. Also some people use to eat a lot of smaller( 5-6) meals a day and that helps to keep the same weight and says it works. I've seen a lot of overweight people eat heavy meals when they like and skip a lot at other times.

One of my friends has told me, her body fats up if she keeps eating over the limit, for number of days ( like 5/?) and return to previous one within same period, if she's super careful about her diet again. She said it's a kind of typical, IDK.

20. CelticRae

WOW 75 lbs since march that is so impressive. Congrats to you!!! I have lost 52 lbs since feb 13 and I have never felt better in my life. I started out at about 242 lbs and on a 5'4 frame that is not cool. Now I am about 190, I still have about 50 to go but I feel 100 times better than before I started. For me all I did was diet and exercise. But most importantly was the exercise. I have gone to the gym almost everyday or every other day since I have started. It shows. I have also noticed that I tend to hit plateaus around every 20 lbs I lose. What I have done to break through those is to mostly change my exercise routine. So either I change the equipment I am using or up the resistance. Also I eat a lot less than I used to. I use to eat mindlessly and made really bad choices. Now I limit what I eat and how much of it I eat. Nothing is ever completely off limits but it is all about moderation. One good thing about plateauing is that it is your bodies way of resetting your consistent body weight. Basically what ever weight you are plateauing at is the weight your body will try to get back to until you plateau again. and that is good as long as it is less than what you originally weighed. My body has gotten to the point of being used to weighing less than 200 and I think it should stay there as long as I don't stop my routine. (!)