1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wisdom Teeth: Swelling and Soreness Hasn't Gone Down

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Zooombini, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Zooombini

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    On Friday my wisdom teeth were removed. I was told that the swelling would reach an all time high on Sunday morning and then it would slowly go away. However last night the swelling did not stop and this morning my face is still swollen and sore. I'm a little worried because I thought I was supposed to recover sooner.

I also was told I was allowed to eat solid food like potatoes and pasta even the day of the surgery. I kept an ice pack on my face for most of the days. On accident yesterday I bumped the area with a toothbrush and now that side hurts today.

I don't know what to do, please help.

2. Cascade

He told you you could eat solid foods the day of the surgery? That doesn't sound right. What kind of extraction was it, did they just yank them or were there still covered and surgery was required? Have you done salt water rinses of your mouth to remove bacteria? Are all of your blood clots still there?

I would say that today would be the day you could start eating more solid food if you had surgery. But I'm not exactly a professional. It took a while for my swelling to go down, I think it was around 5 days after the surgery before I started to notice any difference.

3. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

You got yours early!

I got mine a while ago, it was sore a bit, but I think its stopped growing

4. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I had mine out I actually didn't swell up til almost 2 days later.

5. KaraBulut

Swelling peaks between 48-72 hours after a surgery. It can take up to 2 weeks to completely go away (although you may notice swelling for several weeks that others don't see).

You can continue to use ice to help with the swelling. Try not to lay down for long periods of time and when you do, prop your head up on pillows to help with drainage of the swelling.

Your doctor should have given you an irrigation syringe to use instead of a toothbrush. You should avoid putting anything in the area. You definitely want to eat soft foods and chew in the front of your mouth until the doctor tells you that it is okay to resume a normal diet.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was swollen and sore for over a week. I could eat marginally solid food after about 4-5 days but it took a week or more for the swelling to go down and almost 2 before all the discomfort went away. I'm sure everything is fine. :slight_smile:

7. Brody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Go back to dentist may be infection

8. Zontar

I may need a partially impacted one extracted soon. My plan is to drink Ensure until it heals. xP

9. VanceEverett

I can feel the pain you're experiencing while I'm reading your post. I'm sure that there's an infection or maybe your wisdom tooth wasn't properly removed. Go back and consult to your dentist. It may worsen if the pain will not ease for a week.