1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dysthymia or Just Personality?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Tetraquark, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

Does anyone here have experience with dysthymia, or know where I could get more information?

I came across a description of it today while looking up methods to cope with depression (I haven't been diagnosed with depression, nor do I think I necessarily have it; I simply thought that those same methods might be useful for what I'm going through). The symptoms sounded eerily familiar. A lot of the screening tests for depression ask whether you feel lower in energy, are having a more difficult time sleeping, etc than you normally do. The thing is, for as long as I can remember, I've always felt low in energy. I've always had a hard time falling asleep. I have never felt motivated for school, and I only rarely feel motivated to do the things I like.

There are a few confounding factors. For example, I have officially been "diagnosed" as gifted, whatever that actually means, and a lot of the characteristics associated with that can manifest in ways that look like depression. My personality also tends toward traits that would look like depression even when I'm actually fairly happy, which is admittedly quite rare.

I guess I'm wondering how this compares to people who do have experience with dysthymia or prolonged periods of depression. I know that in the end the only person who can make the call is a professional, but unfortunately I probably won't have access to one until the fall. In the meantime I'm trying to gather information in order to see if it's worth looking into.

2. starfish

Well sumbitch. That pretty much describes me to a T.

I'm curious to here what you find out. I'm been thinking of some professional help, but have been reluctant. Really I just need to find a good counselor, I find that talking about it helps.

3. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I wound up talking to a counselor and someone at the university's LGBTQ resource center today after basically crying myself to sleep last night, and both quickly reached the conclusion that I had depression without me even mentioning that I thought I might have it. Doesn't really address the dysthymia issue, since they meant clinical depression, but yeah, sounds like I'll be seeing a psychiatrist some time in the near future...

4. KaraBulut

Thanks for the update. Based upon the information you provided, it does sound like clinical depression. A physician would be able to determine whether this is a short-term situational depression or whether this is part of an ongoing mood disorder.

Good luck and please keep us updated.

5. robbiedolly

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi...I know this may sound a little off the wall. I also have Depression and have had it for years...but just as a precaution get some tests done. Check your B12. I found out mine was low and it turns out that I thought I was going through a major episode of depression, tired, woke up counting the hours till I went to bed, irritable, achy..they've been giving me regular B12 shots and I feel new again. I'm not health freak or anything, but when your body is lacking one thing your whole system can get thrown off.

6. Ryesright

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Also, just so you know. Dysthymia and Depression have the same first line treatment options - SSRIs (aka. an antidepressant) and/or therapy. Unfortunately, people around here get really hung up on labels. The beautiful thing about Psychiatry is that a lot of similar mood disorders have similar treatments. So, the label isn't vital. Depression and Dysthymia are both disorders of depressed mood. As long as you're appropriately treated for Clinical Depression, that will also help you should you additionally have dysthymia or always been suffering from dysthymia.