1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good shampoo for greasy hair

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Trailblazer, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Trailblazer

It seems almost all shampoo's I use after about 14 hours my hair looks greasy again, is there any good shampoos to help against that?

2. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well what exactly do you mean by greasy? Your has natural oils in it and washing those out and make your hair frizzy.

3. darkpassionplay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    try the ginger shampoo from body shop. its goooood!

4. TraceElement

Baby shampoo or rainforest balence shampoo and conditioner from the body shop are both good.

5. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I used to have a lot of problems with my old shampoo not getting much grease out of my hair. I tried Pantene flat to volume on a whim a while ago and it made me switch to it for good. I also use Dove damage therapy conditioner.

6. ilovecats

ilovecats Guest

I have greasy hair as well. I use treseme and it works better than other shampoo, but it's still not the best. Also, to help your hair , use less conditioner and don't touch your hair much. I hope you find a shampoo that works. Greasy hair is annoying and a real self esteem killer.

7. I had a very similar problem and would actually recommend buying a shampoo that specifically states that it is "sulfate free".

Sulfates suck all the oils out of your hair and your scalp, causing your body to overcompensate by creating much more oil.

When you first start using a sulfate free shampoo, your hair might be a little funky for a couple days, but that will go away and your hair will be much healthier and look much cleaner because the shampoo won't be taking ALL of the oil like shampoos with sulfates do.

The other thing I recommend is having some dry shampoo around to put in your hair if it looks greasy. (or, in a pinch, you can use a little corn starch) Just put a little in your hair and then comb or brush it out. The dry shampoo or corn starch will take some of the oil out and leave your hair looking like you just washed it.

Hope that helps!

8. KaraBulut

Different shampoos have different ingredients.

If your shampoo is shiny or has a silvery/thick appearance, it has ingredients similar to wax in it. This helps add shine to hair and it also helps soften curly or wiry hair.

For people with straight, limp or oily hair, these waxes make the hair flat. And in areas where the climate is humid, it can make it feel greasy.

Try changing to a shampoo that is clear and is labeled for normal to oily hair.

9. suninthesky

10. fireworks

fireworks Guest

I use Neutrogena's T-gel, it works for me :wink:

11. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Try some Aussie stuff, if you can perhaps get it, it's available in the UK and Europe from what I'm aware, so might be available in Canada.

12. Emberstone

my hair only gets greasy if I wash it too much. shampoo only twice a week. your hair gets greasy becaue shampooing removes the natural oils, and if you do it too much, your hair produces the oil in overdrive, leaving to greasy hair.

13. i feel your pain!

currently i use the body shop banana shampoo.
    .... on the first wash it was AMAZING stripped all the oil out totally. i went 3 days till i felt it get greasy! and now.... it keeps it at bay but meh. its the best i have come across yet....

try bateiste (sp?) dry shampoo/talc whatever you wanna use in between washes. thats what i do. i feel like a mong, but it does help get rid of the oil, slightly so you dont wash your hair as much. try to wash your hair only 3 times a week, 4 at a push.

but im going to get a tea tree shampoo after i run out of my current one and see if it helps.

when i was in my teens my hair was like a grease bucket, i tryed EVERYTHING and the only thing that seemed to work was talc (before dry shampoo came along lol) every other day and tea tree shampoo.
    hope this helps! :slight_smile:

14. Farouche

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Whatever shampoo you're using, use less and less of it over a few weeks, until you're washing your hair with plain hot water. It will be greasy for a while, but then your scalp adjusts to produce less oil, and after a while your hair is back to normal and you don't need shampoo. I did this recently, and it's working.

15. RealityCheck

Does this open a person up to the possibility of developing dandruff?

I'm trying to figure out the best way to take care of my hair. Mine is always dull looking. I keep getting different information from everyone. My hair was short until about a year ago and I washed it twice a day. Then I went to once a day. The girl that cuts my hair said to use conditioner every time I shower and wash is only 3 times a week. I kinda feels gross for me to do that, but I'm use to washing it every time I take a shower. If anyone here knows a lot about this kind of stuff PM me cause I have tons of questions and I don't want to wreck this thread with them. Thanks in advance.