1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Antibiotic on Empty Stomach

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Zooombini, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Zooombini

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This morning, about 12 hours ago, I took an antibiotic after drinking a protein drink. I guess the protein drink didn't work because I felt nauseous. About 4 hours later I drank some coke and ate some chips to calm my stomach. It helped for a minute but soon it was worse than ever.

And then I vomited. I vomited 4 times, most recently about 10 minutes ago, half the time I didn't have enough in my stomach so I just vomited air and stomach acid. I'm in so pain right now, I can barely move. I can't even drink little sips of water without vomiting. Is there anything I can do to make it better? Will a tums help?

2. ilovecats

ilovecats Guest

I don't think it's the antibiotic being taken with no food causing this, unless it was a strong prescription medicine. At the most medicine on an empty stomach may cause a stomach ache, maybe slight nausea. See a doctor as soon as you can, you may have had a bad reaction to the medicine. You might even want to go to the hospital. What type of medicine did you take, how much, did you take any other medicine, and did you have alcohol at any recent point (alcohol may react badly with certain medicine)?

#2 ilovecats, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2012
  3. Antibiotics are known to upset people's stomachs. I think its maybe because they kill all the good bacteria too? I don't know, I'm not a doctor.

Some antibiotics can react with tums, so don't do that, unless it says it's okay on the warnings and labels for your medication.

I've also heard that eating a little yogurt can help your stomach feel better when the antibiotics make you sick. I don't know if you'll be able to get that down, but if you can, it's worth shot.

At any rate, you should take a look at the label for your meds, or if you don't have the little info packet that comes with medications, you should look up the warnings and side effects of the drug. It will tell you if you're having a normal or severe reaction and what do to or not to do because of it.

4. Zooombini

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just checked the expiration date of the protein shake, it says it expires today so I don't think its food poisoning. I also didn't get a lot of sleep last night so maybe I caught something. My mom has always had a weak stomach so thats another possibility, though kind of unlikely (I've drank and eaten expired foods MANY a time with absolutely no consequences, one might say I have an iron stomach.

It just hurts like heck! I actually wanted to go to the doctors hours ago but I had no way to get there nor did I want to move. I don't drink alcohol. A week ago I had my wisdom teeth removed, because of that I've taken these pills three times a day for a week so it shouldn't be effecting me now. Of course today was the only day I didn't take it with prescription strength Ibuprofen. Also I don't know what its called, I do know it is prescription strength though.

5. starfish

I've had some antibiotics which upset my stomach. I've found that meals high in carbs helped with the nauseia. I would suggest oatmeal made with water.

Avoid dairy as the calcium can interfere with some antibiotics.

6. KaraBulut

Which antibiotic and why was it prescribed?

7. Zooombini

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know the exact name (my dad threw out the bottle once I was done with it) but it was prescribed after my wisdom teeth were removed to assumably help with pain and slightly reduce swelling.

This morning, after not throwing up and eat super small pieces of pizza and drinking soda, my mom called the doctors hoping to set up an appointment. Sadly they were full but they did recommend taking a probiotic. So far I've been feeling a LOT better and hopefully it stays that way!

8. KaraBulut

Ah. Wisdom teeth.

Often with wisdom tooth removal, there's some bleeding and drainage into the stomach. This can make some people have nausea- sometimes to the extreme of triggering vomiting.

9. seeksanctuary

Could be an allergy, but it could also just be your body is stressed and flipping out due to the surgery. Assuming that the surgery was recent, anyhow.