1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anxiety

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by LailaForbidden, May 2, 2012.

1. LailaForbidden

I have anxiety. I dont think its a full blow disorder, but i definitely have a tendency to stress and act, well, cautiously. Maybe that not the right word. Basically, while other people are doing crazy, irresponsible, yet fun, things, i'm generally in the background shaking my head and thinking 'why dont they think about what they're doing? this is so stupid' I know thats definitley not always a bad thing, but i feel like i think too much. I want to have fun for once.. i want to be a teenager you know? Needless to say, i'm a buzz kill. So... how do i calm down and go with the flow? how can i conquer my tendency toward anxiety? thank you all tremendously.

2. piratealisonnn

I am the same way as you. I always tend to overthink things before doing them. I am not the least bit spontaneous and I have to have a plan of how things will go before I attempt anything. Welcome to a type A personality.

I've tried soo hard to be like other people and 'go with the flow' but in reality, it freaks me out. As I've come out of the teenage world and into the adult world, it has helped me make more rational decisions and mature a lot faster than most 20 year olds. Do I think this is a bad thing? I used to. But it's who I am.

So just take a step back and remind yourself, this is who you are. You can try to push yourself outside your comfort zone to become more spontaneous. If the anxiety is getting a lot worse, I'd talk to your doctor or a therapist about it.

There's nothing wrong with being level-headed and mature :slight_smile:

3. Lewis

I have anxiety too, especially in social situations and if I have to do something like a class presentation or talk aloud in front of people. I combat it by reassuring myself in my head and taking deep breaths.

Your symptoms seem more like OCD rather than anxiety or maybe you're just a naturally mature and cautious individual?

4. LailaForbidden

I sort of forgot i posted this haha. thanks for commenting!! your right, i think it is my personality because my mother is much the same way (although she was pretty rebellious in her teenage years). but thanks for the advice ill definitley keep this in mind :icon_wink

5. amychan12

I'm the same way to when I get anxiety things are set in my mind until I'm convinced otherwise I see a psychiatrist and she puts me on medication for it but it gets better try to talk to someone like your parents that's what I do and they help me get through it:icon_bigg

6. RebelD

I used to have a lot of anxiety, but luckily it can be treated. At 19 I had never gone out to a club and never had more than one drink. I had short hair and spent all my time in my room. All because I was too afraid and always worried. But that all changed. Two years later, I have long hair, four piercings (all visible haha), I go out all the time and I feel really good. Its like finally being free to live. You don't have to go on with anxiety! There is a lot of really good meds that help and you don't necessarily have to take it chronically. There are also techniques that helps you stay calm. I would advise you to maybe see a psychologist or psychiatrist. If you don't want that you can look up some techniques online. Good luck and don't miss out on life.. Live it! :thumbsup:

7. NickD

I really like this response, and I've been seeing a psychologist for a couple years, and although I've made great progress, I still find it exceedingly difficult to be in social situations, particularly anything one on one (like a date...) I really want to live life, but I keep hearing in my head that the way I want to live it isn't "morally right." And the worst part is, I have no one to blame for this mentality; my parents weren't repressive in any way and my childhood was more or less happy. It's like a self imposed shame that has no origin to trace back to.