1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Migraines

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by beckyg, Jan 7, 2008.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I suffer from migraines and I was wondering if anybody else does and what they do for them?

I've had them for years but they don't seem to be getting any better. I take Imitrex for them but my insurance will only pay for 12 pills in a month. They cost $285 for 12 pills. My doctor did put me on double strength so I cut the pills in half and only take a half instead of a whole. This makes them last a little longer but still toward the end of the month and the end of my prescription, I start stressing out because doing my job (taking care of children) with a migraine is almost unbearable. In December, I had a headache almost everyday. They miraciously stopped on Christmas Eve and I got a repreive for a few days but they are back now. Migraines run in my family, both my parents get them although my Mom's have almost stopped since she had a hysterectomy. I see my chiropractor regularily to make sure I'm aligned properly. He thinks too that some of it could be caused by scar tissue in my neck from my thyroid being removed and a car accident I had several years back. I just wish they would go away!

2. EthanS

EthanS Guest

You had them for years??.. Mine only lasts for a while then they go the next day, I just take neurofen

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I get them sometimes (maybe once a month or so) but nowhere near as bad as you. I just take 2 paracetamol which helps a bit. Adding 3 asprin helps too, but I'm not sure how safe a full dose of paracetamol and a full dose of asprin together are, so I don't do that unless it's a really bad one.

So far it hasn't been enough of a problem to need to see the doctor about. Though I think that may happen this year as they are gradually getting worse as I get older.

Fortunately I can take time off work with no problem, so if I get a bad one I just phone to say I won't be in and go back to bed.

4. xxAngelOnFirexx

my moms had them for 35 years. she's tried everything. only certain meds help but she doesn't want to rely on them so she only takes them when the pain gets around an
    8-10. sadly that is often. nothing really helps.

5. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

I've had migranes through elementary school like every week i was in the nurses office and they hurt sooo badly i just wnated quite and darkness and close my eyes...i had one to day as a matter of fact =[. they hurt so much! for me i find that if i dont eat constantly i get them and if i have sugar early in the mornin like some cereal that has a lot of sugar...maybe try chaning your diet?

6. justjoshoh

Unfortunately I don't have any solutions to managing the migraines, but perhaps this information can be just as useful...

Depending on your particular insurance plan, there may be cheaper alternatives that are as effective. You should check to see if Imitrex is formulary on your plan and if it is if it is Tier 1, 2, or 3. The optimal solution is to find your drug or a comparable alternative on as a Tier 1 formulary. Insurance companies, or their websites, can assist you with determining whether your drug is formulary and which tier it is on, and if there are cheaper alternatives. After that, you and your doctor would have to discuss the change in drugs.

If all else fails, it is my understanding, a generic to Imitrex is supposed to made available sometime in the 4th quarter of 2008.

7. Ah good old migraines :bang: I've been having them for s long as I can remember and found that almost anything I took made no difference so I just stopped taking pills altogether. But for the last year I've been having daily headaches which lead to migraines every other day.
    Migraines suck they would leave me "photosensitive" so I would spend the day in my room asleep. They almost always led to me being sick so I'd almost be living in the bathroom because the only warning I'd get was my knees starting to "sweat", lol, and feel funny.
    I also found taking long showers in the dark helping, but that's just me. But as I've said on another thread I now take a concoction of various aspirins and pramin, which as always don't work. But next week they're changing me to a daily medication. So I'll see how that works out. But for the last few weeks I've been blessed with a migraine free life. (^-^)

8. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Oh that is a blessing! Have you noticed any changes in your life that could have led to you being pain free? Fortunately, most of mine aren't quite that bad that I have to go to a dark room and go to bed. I do get nausious but light sensitivity unless its really bright don't really bother me.

9. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight

Thanks, this is great information to know!!!

10. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

Migraines appear to also be related to asthma as both seem to run in families together. Some of the problem seems to be a bit of an allergy component, anything that can cause the cascade of vasoconstriction followed by vasodilation. Do you have an aurea? (halo around lights, visual "heat waves", dizziness, followed by the headache)

If you "know" when the headache is coming on, dosing with the OTC med of Excedrin Migraine right away could possibly abate the onset of the headache. Studies has shown such an approach is useful. With some aspects of treatment, use of beta blockers (indural, Tenormin) is helpful but can have side effects of dizziness or lightheaded. Unfortunately, use of the Imitrex and the recent second and third generation similar medications can cause rebound headaches once their affects begin to wear off.

Use of antihistamines might be helpful as it may decrease any allergy component to the whole business. If at all possible use of Claritin (OTC non drowsy antihistamine) could help.

Lastly, avoid caffeine and also products made with wheat as there could also be an allergy with those due to some of the mold that is associated with wheat. Some of the molds will cause the initial vasoconstriction problem and set up for the migraine.

Yes, soon there will be a generic form of Imitrex. Wish you the best Becky.

11. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks JayHew! I've read about rebound headaches but I haven't heard of them in relation to Imitrex. I have heard of them in relation to Excedrin, which I use consistently. Most of my headaches recently are happening in the early morning hours of sleep. I do have sleep apnea and am wondering if maybe I'm just not getting enough oxygen at night. Problem is I can't wear one of these sleep machines. The Breathe Rite strips work pretty good if I can keep them on all night.

12. Jim1454

Another drug my wife used was 'Zomeg' (I think) rather than Imitrex. I don't know if it's any cheaper...

My previous boss suffered with them a lot too, and she has tried just about everything. She went on a VERY restricted diet but found it wasn't 100% improved and she just couldn't maintain the diet. She also tried botox injections, as one doctor thought that the pain might simply be chronic and therefore wanted to break the cycle of tension and pain in the muscles in her neck and on her scalp. They were quite expensive and I don't think they worked either.

My mom's were a result of stress, and her medication was in fact caffeine pills that would re-constrict the blood vessels in her head after they had relaxed too much after her stressful situation...

Thankfully I don't suffer from them. Good luck though.

13. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

The sleep apnea could be a cause of the migraines for you Becky. When that happens the blood vessels in the head will dilate to bring in more blood, thus triggering the cycle for the headache. Any treatment outside of the beta blockers can cause rebound. But sounds like you don't have much problem with them outside of the OTC meds. Hope you find some relief overtime. Would be nice I am sure.

14. So as I said a while ago I was going to change medication and I have my newest one is something called Pizotifen and we're giving that a try now. FIrst off I'm only taking 1 tablet a night but they're considering upping the dosage if it doesn't work. There was another medication my doctor originally suggested but changed his mind after remembering that I had pretty sever asthma when I was younger. Wish me luck!

15. sexyalex

omg i feel so sorry for you when the answer to all ur problems are as simple as ABC & D.
    if u are intrested in finding out the best most cheapest most NATURAL WAY to cure migrains....just PM me.(*hug*)