1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School Nurse/STD Testing

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Time, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Time

I was wondering about going to a school nurse to get tested for STDs/STIs. I don't like my school nurse, but I don't know how I would get to a clinic or be able to pay for it. The idea is for my parents not to know. I'm assuming if it came out positive they would be have to be notified, but if it was negative, they don't have to know right? I'm probably all wrong here. I feel like an idiot, but I need some info on all of this.

I'm not really showing symptoms of anything, but I'm starting to think it would be wise to get checked anyway.

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    You can usually go to the health department and get free or very inexpensive testing too. If the school nurse makes you uncomfortable, you could try there.

3. justjoshoh

For HIV testing, there is an internet resource that lists all testing sites in the United States. The website is: http://www.hivtest.org Some of these same sites offer other STI testing as well.

By the way, if you select a site that offers anonymous testing, the results will only be given to you the patient. The person administrating the test is required by law to maintain your health privacy as well. The fact that you had the test and its results stays off your medical record, which your parents can legally access until you are 18. Furthermore, as Becky said there are some sites that offer free or inexpensive testing.

4. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

First off, Time, if you are sexually active with someone or someones, then it may be something to think about. Sexually active in this case would be oral and anal sex. If just making out or fondling only, there is no need for testing (after all, just having a hand job is not swapping body fluids). Some get a guilty complex about things and feel they have to have things checked out just to make sure their fantasies and minor activities haven't placed them on the path to having things get bad with disease, etc.

At your age, I am not so sure it would be required but you feel you need to having testing done to soothe your conscious. But if you really feel you do need to have it done, you can check with "free" clinics in your area and see. Never hurts to ask.

5. Time

Thanks for the input everyone.

I understand what you're saying, but I wouldn't have asked if it I didn't think it might be necessary. I've had oral sex, and that's enough to warrant being tested just to be absolutely sure. As I said in the first post, it's not like I'm showing symptoms of anything. And I probably won't fully pursue this unless I do. I just want to be aware of where I can go if I feel I need any testing done.

Again, thank you for your reply, and I have one more thing to say to anyone who might read this. Yes, I'm 13. But don't judge me by my age. We don't judge people here based on their orientation, and in most cases, I think it should be the same way with age. I don't know how many posts you've read from me, but all you really need to do is glance at a few and you will see that I'm not your typical 13 year old poster. I put my thoughts together more intelligently than a lot of the older posters here, and they're also a lot more readable. You don't need to treat me as such. Just please remember this in the future.

6. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

You make a good point, Time and will definitely be considered in the future. As we all do there are assumptions made on a daily basis of people, places and things. It comes from older people because of life experience (and sometimes wisdom) and it comes from younger people because of lack of life experience. At least that is the general trend in our day to day meetings and such with people.

In all cases of interpersonal relationships, it takes time and effort to know someone and see their various attributes, strengths and maturity levels. In many cases in this forum you will not be running into people who know you that well, but have a general idea of what happens at various age stages, so act and respond accordingly. It is just the way it is.

As you point out, you may have a maturity level higher than what is normally seen in the "standard" 13 year old, albeit it would require a lot of time here to find that out. In a twist for you, in many questions that have been answered here, I have not tried to be condescending in my answers to others and I think if you glanced at my answers you would see that I may not be your typical 59 year old. In fact I can quite often remember how I felt at a given age. So perhaps we both need to consider things?

Again, your point is valid and I would also suggest you not be so quick to judge on your own part or see the coin from only one side. If you want to have leeway, then you must give leeway. Each day is an opportunity to learn, not assume and it is difficult enough in a forum such as this, but much more so to assume people are going to know you as well as you want them to. Patience and social grace go a long way.