1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Physical Fitness Testing

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by secretguyX, May 9, 2012.

1. secretguyX

So in gym class, we have to take physical fitness tests twice a year (the pacer, curlups, flexed arm hang, trunk lift, sit and reach). I'm great at the trunk lift and pretty good at the sit and reach. I can only get 2 seconds on the flexed arm hang. But I'm decently strong in general, I can lift weights and carry heavy amounts. I got 30 laps on the pacer test. And I got 35 curlups. But I was talking to some of the girls on my softball team, and they got like 75 curlups, 65 laps, 60 seconds on the flexed arm hang. I'm not trying to compare myself to them, but still, I am pretty healthy, so I don't know why I don't do that well. Any tips?

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Because you have a different kind of strength and fitness. Also, it's possible that you just need to develop more willpower to endure. For example, last night I only jogged for a mile and a half because I couldn't take the pain and discomfort. Previously, I have jogged two just fine. (I broke routine... Shameful, I know.)

If you're trying to strength train, you could just take the approach of taking protein before lifting (I have a rule that says I eat real food, so no protein shakes.) Then when you go lift, you lift a lot of weight (near your limit) so that you stress your muscles a lot. After a few sets of that, go down to a lower weight and just lift to exhaustion.

Do be careful not to injure yourself, so listen to your body. Also, when you are lifting heavy, you should give your body a time to recover. The idea is to break your muscles down a little each time so that they build up stronger. The mentality is that you lift hard and get exhausted, maybe a teensie bit sore the next day, and just work something else. Do squats, or running or whatever. Then the day after, go back to lifting.

Still, don't think you're less than just because you aren't exceptional at everything! I wish I had the flexibility that you did. But with effort, many things that we don't think are within reach for us!