1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't know what to call it...extreme nervousness?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by October, May 12, 2012.

1. October

I don't know why but I have been getting extremely stressed out lately. I recently went on an antidepressant but it hasn't started working yet. Basically, I seem to have a really big problem with people being upset with me. Even when they are not, if I make the slightest "mistake" in conversation or something I get really stressed out about it and worry an insane amount that they think something negative of me. Even if it's just "that's awkward."

It keeps me up at night. It's especially bad with text messages. I can't tell people's tones. It's not a reputation thing. Strangers and classmates I don't care what they think but I am terrified of doing anything that could hurt a friendship I have. Especially my really close friends. I literally won't be able to sleep because I keep replaying a stupid mistake I made two years ago over and over in my head or something like that. It's extremely frustrating.

Any advice to help me calm down?

2. angelicbabe8

(*hug*) To be honest I used to do the same thing. I still do but nowhere near as often.
    I found counselling to be a great help and getting into things like mindful or relaxing meditation helps too.
    I really think talking to a counsellor will help you.

3. TraceElement

That used to happen with me alot. I'm on an antidepressant, in therapy, and try to work out at least twice a week, more if i have time/energy. You may want to try yoga, deep breathing or meditation as they can ease stress to some degree. Also, you may want to try journaling.

4. adam88

It's called Social Anxiety, and lots of people suffer from it. Therapy can help, as can (in my case) developing a healthy amount of "does not care what people think". :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Now, it's not an absolute cure but it does negate some of the symptoms.