1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having trouble sleeping :S

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by BudderMC, May 17, 2012.

1. BudderMC

Hey guys, I was hoping someone would have some insight for me...

Lately (over a week now) I've been having issues sleeping. Not difficulty getting to sleep, but my sleep schedule is unusually... short. Regularly I go to bed around midnight or so, and since I don't have morning classes, I'll usually sleep in as long as I feel like it till I naturally wake up, say around 9/10am.

The thing is, lately while I've been going to sleep at the same time, I've been waking up a lot earlier... usually between 5:30/6:30. Then I roll over and look at my clock, and force myself to go back to sleep because it's waaaaaay too early (even though I'm not necessarily tired), and I'm sure 5/6 hours of sleep isn't healthy (at least not when I'm used to 8/9). Then I wake up a few more times until I get up for good around 9/10. I don't necessarily feel rested by the end of this either; some days I do, some days I don't.

Is this something I should be concerned about? My routine hasn't really changed much, so I don't know what else it may be. :/

2. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    By any chance have you started a new sort of medication? Because that can affect sleeping patterns.

One method I have for falling to sleep again is to not look at the time, because if I know the time then I can't fall asleep again, it's weird. One other method I use is to just not move for the position I am in, for some reason if I move positions I stay awake Also I keep my eyes closed. I guess in my mind it means I didn't officially wake up.

This isn't great advice but it is a trick I use and it works for me, maybe it will work for you.

3. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    oh there are lots of thing you can do to help you sleep, like warm glass of milk or Horlicks, hot chocolate and so on.

What works best for me, i think it's kinda embarrassing admitting it, but just before i want to sleep I masturbate. I think that effort kind tires me out and then I fall asleep as fast as 1, 2... :sleep:

4. BudderMC

Nope, no new meds. Well, no meds at all, actually. And admittedly there have been a few times I've jacked off in order to get to sleep... so it's not just you :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. ryan1989

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Warm milk about half an hour before bed is the best option. When it's warmed it releases a chemical called melatonin, which is what our body absorbs from sunlight during the day and stores. It is subsequently released at night time to promote fatigue and helps to create more productive sleep.

Drinking warm milk causes the same effect. :slight_smile:

Hope that helps xx

6. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

Isn't their a pill called melatonin that helps you sleep?? And if so it makes me wonder why does it even exist if you can just drink warm milk before bed?

7. BudderMC

I have kind of a fear of warm milk... on a retreat once, a friend warmed up a glass before bed and was promptly sick the rest of the night, enough she had to go home. Dunno if that's something I actually need to be worried about or if it was a fluke. :/

8. Vanc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It could be class-related, assuming that you're taking classes at the moment. Sometimes I can't go to sleep simply because I know there's a midterm coming up next week or something like that. Or just general anxiety issues. Or perhaps the nights are getting warmer and your body is trying to adjust to the heat? Sorry if these suggestions sound really stupid lol.

What I do when I really can't sleep is I stare. Really hard, while I'm closing my eyes (I know, weird :S)... I just fixate on a particular area while my eyes are closed and force my mind not to think about anything else except keeping my eyes completely still and concentrated. Eventually I'll start drifting without even knowing it and then fall asleep :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. BudderMC

^ hmm, it's possible I suppose... I'd go with the weather if anything. At first I thought maybe it was a school vs. home thing, but it's been consistent everywhere (even on overnight sleep shifts at work too). And they aren't stupid, don't worry; I'll take any insight at this point. I just want to sleep through the night... it's been close to 3 weeks now <_<

10. KaraBulut

It's normal to have periods where you sleep less- especially as the days get longer and there's more sunlight. You'll also find that when you're not in school and you don't have as much mental fatigue, you may not need as much sleep as you do during school or when you're working.

As long as you're not falling asleep during the day, it's fine.

Instead of being miserable tossing and turning, sometimes it's just better to get up and make use of the extra time when you wake up early and can't go back to sleep.

If you do find yourself getting sleepy during the day but you have trouble falling asleep at night, then you might look at your sleep patterns and options to help you get better sleep.

#10 KaraBulut, May 28, 2012
    Last edited: May 28, 2012
  11. Vesper

Well, some people may not want to drink milk due to lactose intolerance or a simple distaste for milk.

I've tried melatonin pills, and while it's hardly evidence that it works, I did sleep well each night after I took one of them.

12. BudderMC

Hmm, that's good to hear that it's relatively normal. I've only got night class over the summer, so I'll try staying up when I wake up early tomorrow (since I have no class) and see if I get tired by 10pm. If I do, then I'll just make myself sleep in Mon/Wed, or take a nap or something.

Now I just need to find something awesome to do at 7 in the morning... :rolle:

13. Blondeye

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I too have this problem and have for quite some time. I am not quite sure what to suggest. Tightening and then loosening each muscle is possible to help. Good luck!