1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any advice on getting rid of migraines fast?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by DoABarrelTroll, May 19, 2012.

1. So, yeah. I've suffered from migraines for about as long as i can remember and in the past few months, they have been a lot more frequent. I think stress is a key factor in this. However; i need advice on getting rid of them quickly. I dislike taking painkillers for various reasons so i was wondering if anyone here had an alternate treatment.

Thx

-Tom

2. Mercy

Mercy Guest

oh not good go to dr ASAP could be something within the brain

3. TraceElement

Try and do some form of meditation, yoga, or pilates to relieve stress to try and prevent migranes.Try to keep as hydrated as possible, as some migranes are because of dehydration.
    Once you feel a migrane coming on, try laying down in a dark room and put an ice pack on your neck or eyes. Try to avoid certain foods like wine, aged cheese, chocolate, exessive caffiene, MSG, and aspartame can cause migranes in some people. Certain smells can cause migranes,like calogne or paint thinner. Keep a journal of when your migranes happen and what was going on/what was eaten prior to it to see if there was a trigger. If they persist, check with your doctor.

4. starfish

I've known a couple of migrane sufferers. They take botox injections and ave found it helps for them.

I've had two migraines in life and I've found that a cup of coffee helps. The caffeine helps to contract the blood vessels in the brain.

5. Zapha

Probably a good place to start is to try establish why they're getting more frequent (stress) and try to deal with that factor. Relaxation exercises & stress management training may be possible options for you as you think that stress is a key factor. TraceElement has also given pretty excellent advice. The headache diary in particular - keep a record for 4-6 weeks noting attack duration and severity, suspected triggers, number of headache-free days and the medication used to treat.

I'd also be looking at your caffeine intake - caffeine may help with relieving migraines, however, if you take too much, they can make you dehydrated, and may be contributing your increased migraine frequency. If you find that you drink lots of coffee, it might be worthwhile to try cutting down.

If the above fails, and you continue to experience more then 2-3 migraines per month, than a trip to the doctor for preventative medication may be necessary.

As a final note, there is a traditional herbal remedy called 'feverfew' that is used for migraine prophylaxis - the evidence for its efficacy is unproven however. If you were to use it, you'd find it in a pharmacy or health food store. If you were interested you'd be giving it a 4-6 week trial to see if it had any effect, and then reduce the dosage if it had, or stop it totally if it had no effect. It's an option, but again, it's efficacy is unproven.

6. RealityCheck

Chiropractic care is very effective for some. I have tons of friends that swear by it. Still I know others that didn't get anything other than a reduction in their frequency. Maybe worth a shot.

7. suninthesky

Dilate, not contract, but yeah. Also, I find that when there's the hint of one coming, I take two advil quickly and it kills it. If I wait too long, 2 advil will do nothing.

Chiropractic = best thing ever.

8. Dalmatian

I have regular but infrequent onsets of migraine and I've had them since at least when I entered puberty (maybe longer). The crucial thing I found out is that I need to act quickly. So as soon as I notice the first symptoms (a spark in the middle of the field of view) I go in a dark, quiet room, lie down and keep myself warm. The sparks expand, the circle of them goes more and more peripheral and when it goes all the way back my head starts to hurt. However, if I go through that in dark and quiet I only feel some discomfort. If I can't, for example if I am at work, I get a mild to strong headache (fortunately I don't get those I-want-to-die headaches). Also, some water helps.

Actually, the main reason that I want to avoid all pain of a migraine is not the headache itself, because in my case it's not unbearable, but the sense of detachment that stays with me for days. I just feel like I'm in a dream the whole time and I find that disturbing and annoying.