1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out and depression

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Pippa, May 19, 2012.

1. Pippa

Pippa Guest

How, if anything, does coming out affect your depression? If you truly have been unhappy because you were hiding the truth does it get any easier? Anyone? I had hoped that it would be easier if I came out but it's not true.... it's like it's all of a sudden WAY harder. I don't know if I ever suffered any pain greater than I did just a few weeks ago when I finally hit the wall and decided to come out after 37 years. Any thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

2. Mej7

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I came out to my friends, who were very sapportive, it was liberating and I was happy and relieved that they were so great about it. When I came out to my sister, I felt better because I didn't have to keep it secretive around her anymore, and she learned finaly that bisexuality DOES exist. When I came out to my parents, I had mixed feeling about the whole thing, but it was more of a positive experience than it was a negative one. THEN, the other day, I came out to my Gram. I really shouldn't have. I thought she would be a little iffy, but I expected her to be better about it then she was. I have been down all day over it. I'm sick of being questioned and it hurts. I think that coming out can be a positive experience when you come out to the right people, but that it can be depressing when the people you come out to don't react as well as you had hoped, and don't just accept it right away. It hurts to be misunderstood and to be told that you aren't experienced enough to know this huge part of who you are. All in all, I think it isn't the coming out that is depressing- its the reactions of the people.

3. Mogget

In general, stress makes depression worse. So it really depends on the likely outcome of your coming out. If it'll be less stress because you don't have to hide your sexuality, then it will probably help, but if you live in an area or with a family where you're likely to be given a good deal of grief over it, then it could make it worse. Coming out is always a cost-benefit analysis of the pain of being dishonest versus the pain of being vulnerable. You have to decide for yourself which is worse.