1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So how does AIDS work?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by xalex, May 25, 2012.

1. xalex

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My question is ridiculously simple and probably I should know the answer...

Anyway, is it true that some people are born with AIDS (which does not do anything to them but they can infect others) and some are born without AIDS (which is great as long as they do not get infected)?

I did read up on AIDS and all that but when I asked a girl friend of mine about whether she knows if she could be infecting others with AIDS (in case of unsafe sex) she answered that she never thought about this possibility. Then, I started wondering if I should worry about this. If so, why doesn't everyone go and get checked so that they know if they infect others?

2. Mogget

AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome) is the symptomatic condition created by the virus HIV (human immunodeficiency virus). Only people with HIV can have AIDS, but some people have HIV without AIDS for years. HIV can be transmitted from mother to child in utero, and those children can develop AIDS just like anyone else with HIV.

#2 Mogget, May 25, 2012
    Last edited: May 25, 2012
  3. davidroberts

it all depends upon the person to person. some develop AIDS with in a few mnths after infection. and for sm it takes a decade . mother to child transmission is also not 100 percent. it may or may not occr. if u hv a doubt get ueself chcked. the test usuall bcms positive after a few mnths after exposure.

4. Zontar

Frankly, it is shocking how little someone your age knows about this disease.

AIDS is the end-result of infection from Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV). You contract HIV from blood-blood transmission; popular vectors are unprotected anal sex, sharing needles with someone who has the HIV virus, and any other activity which puts you in contact with someone's infected blood, semen, or mucous membranes. You're only "born with AIDS" if the mother was HIV+ at the time of conception. Otherwise, you can't be born with AIDS. If you were born HIV+, all the other caveats of transmitting AIDS applies.

If your friend is sleeping around, is HIV+, and is not disclosing her status to her partners, someone ought to slap her silly. Not only is that outright criminal, it's wrong for all sorts of reasons, and quite frankly she's everything wrong with the AIDS epidemic. Tell her to stop that shit immediately.

If she's not HIV+, she ought to be much more worried about contracting it from one of her partners.

Being gay puts you at particular risk of HIV because of the nature of our sex practices. 1/5 of gay men in the US now carry the virus, and this isn't expected to change until the virus is eradicated through vaccination. So always practice safe sex, and never practice unprotected anal sex, even in a committed relationship. That's your best bet for avoiding the virus.

#4 Zontar, May 25, 2012
    Last edited: May 25, 2012
  5. Zontar

Also, please don't take this personally. This statement is a commentary on how shockingly bad sex education is in some countries, and how public health is failing our youth...not how much you should or shouldn't know about STDs. :slight_smile:

6. KaraBulut

Just to add some additional information. In most developed countries, pregnant women are now screened for HIV to help reduce the chance that a child will be born with HIV. Unfortunately, in less developed areas like subSaharan Africa, children are still born with HIV infection and most children born with HIV will die before reaching adulthood.