1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exam stress + Anxiety attacks

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by DJNay, May 31, 2012.

1. DJNay

From Joburg, SA but now live in Brisbane, Aus
    So today i had a practical exam at uni worth 30% of my final grade -I had studied and prepared for it, in my head i knew what i was going to do before i walked in. I still felt anxiety building up in the minutes before hand, which is normal for anyone I guess. BUT... during the exam my one procedure didnt work ( which i had been struggling to get right all semester) and although i was allocated extra time ( I have ADD ) I still felt pressured which made my anxiety build up more, to the point where my hands were literally shaking- i could barely write straight, i felt sick to my stomach with panic and just tried to alm down and remeber what i had learnt. All i wanted to do was leave, i was on the brink of tears.

Ok so anxiety attacks arent unusual for me, I have social anxiety which is related to having ADD. But ive never had one this bad,I dont want to go through it again and i dont know what to. I have another prac exam tomorrow and im dreading it. The meds im on are supposed to help wih anxiety while keeping me focussed but clearly it didnt help me today.
    The academic support advisor that i see once or twice thriughout the semester suggested that i get help/meds for it, but that would entail involving my parents (i still live at home) and im too scared to ask for help ( I dont really involve them in any of my problems- i just want to deal with it myself)

Any suggestions??

2. Toneth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i would talk to your parents, let them love you and help you

3. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's better to learn how to cope with anxiety than to try and remove it completely. Anxiety exists for a reason, it serves a purpose in Humans. When you start to get an anxiety attack just try your best to clear your mind, take some deep breaths (it sometimes helps to visualize breathing in light that is calming and peaceful and breathing out black that is anxiety and fear). Just remind yourself that you have been happy before and you just need to calm down and get though this. Remind yourself that this is a temporary feeling that will go away, even if it doesn't seem like it at the time.

It might help to see a counsellor to get some extra and specific tips on coping with stress and anxiety. I have a lot of those problems as well frequently and counselling has helped a lot for me.

4. KaraBulut

Generally, when faculty make suggestions to students that they get help, it's an indication that we feel like the person has potential but there's something preventing them from reaching their potential.

That's what is happening here with your anxiety. While a certain amount of anxiety is normal (and probably healthy) in situations like this, the issue is the level of anxiety and the amount of escalation. Your parents would be happy to know that you're getting help dealing with anxiety so that you can do better in exams. And the ability to cope with stress is something that is transferable to all sorts of life situations after you've graduated.