1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lesbian Safe Sex?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by xScatterbrainx, Jun 1, 2012.

1. xScatterbrainx

South Lanarkshire, Scotland (United Kingdom)
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    All of the information given about Lesbian safer sex is really ambiguous, I was wondering if anyone could answer some of my questions?

1. Do you have to use a dental dam? It sounds to me like it would get rid of all of the pleasure of the act involved and sounds really fiddly. If you don't use one how unsafe is it?

2. Can you give me any safer sex tips/things you can use to make things safer for girls who sleep with other girls.

3. What STIs/STDs can you catch if you sleep with another girl, what are the chances of catching something?

4. Can you pass on herpes through a cold sore even if there isn't one present at that time?.

5. Can you catch HIV through oral sex with another girl?

6. If I brought up safe sex with a partner would they think it was weird, is safe sex not something that many lesbian or bisexual girls use or see as an issue when they sleep with another girl.

2. you dont have to use a dam just like anyone doesnt have to use a condom, it is considered safe sex if you use one though. if you dont use one, you can catch anything. just like you can with anyone. some people say its really low risk, others dont.... but you honestly might not know the sexual history of that person so they could have anything.
    only way you can reeeeally know if you can not use one is if you both go for a sti check so you both know youre in the clear. this info could be wrong though. idk im tired haha.

can i just say a partner should in no way think safe sex is weird at all. most women i know dont practise safe sex, they 'dont think they can catch anything' YOU CAN. people i know think its weird, but i wouldnt risk it cuz im super petrified of getting hiv.
    also, not related but sort of on the subject, most lesbians i know have never been for a smear test because they think 'it doesnt apply to them'. IT DOES. if you are sexually active gay or not.

3. Sadepeura

I think the problem is that there is no information given out at schools or anywhere else where it's automatically given to people about how to have safe lesbian sex. And no one uses dental dams in straight relationships either, which makes no sense!

But there is this article here in Empty Closets:

Empty Closets - Lesbian Sex

#3 Sadepeura, Jun 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  4. Ianthe

All safer sex practices are a matter of risk management. The only way to have no risk is to have no sex.

Before HIV, condoms were used mainly to prevent pregnancy. When couples used other forms of birth control, they did not mostly use condoms. This is because STDs were mostly treatable, and rarely fatal.

It's a good idea to know about all the different STDs and how they are transmitted. But for the most part, people practice safer sex to protect themselves from HIV, because that's the one that is incurable and frequently fatal.

Oral sex is considered a low risk activity for HIV transmission. Consider this study:
    (Seroconversion = infection. So, in the 19,000 instances recorded by the study, oral sex between an infected and an uninfected person did not result in even one single infection.)

For this reason, it is unusual to use protection for oral sex--not only for lesbians, but for everyone. But for lesbians, it is also highly unlikely that your partner will have HIV in the first place.

And yet, even though it is unusual among lesbians to use dental dams, it's even more unusual among straight people. My experience is that lesbians are more likely than other groups to suggest a barrier for oral sex. If you talk about dental dams to straight people, they often don't even know what you are talking about, and it's not like they aren't practicing cunnilingus.

The fact is, lesbians just can't do the things that straight and gay male couples usually use protection for.

5. PurpleCrab

That's absolutely not true.

Experience speaking, I have done really extreme deeds and been with women who were into:
    -fisting
    -anal
    -extreme toy play
    -bondage
    -blood play

Alright, even though I have had lesbian sex I am not a lesbian but there ARE lesbian couples that are into these. That's a fact, and they are high-risk practices.
    There are some women who carry STDs in their throat, too, and are not aware of it. It feels to them like they are on the edge of getting a cold and that's it, but the symptoms once transmitted down there are not so discreet.

I have had casual sex, too, and used dental dams. It adds fun flavor, it's safer, and once it's well placed the woman who wears it don't feel it; it just adapts to the body like a tight on a leg. I fell asleep with one one... and only realized it was there the next morning when I showered, that's to tell you how much I felt it!

Yeah, most lesbians won't ever get a STD, but maybe you could be the unlucky one who does. The most common stuff you could catch are types of infections and fungi. I'd be careful.