1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eating Less

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by davo-man, Jan 12, 2008.

1. davo-man

Okay, so in the past month I have been eating considerably less than I used to, I think a lot of that has to do with with me waking up at midday (Woo for school/uni holidays), but I want ppl's opinion if I'm eating too little to be healthy. The reason I'm asking a question that I really should be able to answer myself is that I have lost like 5 kilos in about two weeks, and my mum has been making comments that I don't eat right, sort of hinting that she think I have an eating disorder

So to make it clearer, Ill lay it out. On the average day I will wake up at 11 (sad, I know), eat one or two crumpets with vegemite, then not really eat until dinner, which, if my mum is home is a full meat and three veg. If she's not home, however, I kind of forget to have dinner and usually just have some crackers. After about 8 I won't anything more, cos I figure its not the best thing to do, eating late at night, however this is kinda bad cos Ive been staying up till like 2-3 in the morning. Whenever I get hungry between meals, I either have a few crackers or a couple of glasses of water to fill me up.

The point that made me wanna post this thread is that today at work, I had to get there at 9, skipped breakfast, had tea break at 10:30, and at the point, when I should be starving, could only get through half of a roll, not even that. At lunch (1:30) I could only get through half a sausage roll. When I got home i had a couple of sausages and toast, then nothing else

Question, am I eating too little?

2. Grantious

Hey hey,

I'm going to guess yeah u're not eating enough, i got used to a habbit like you'res, i ended up feeling dizzy all the time.. Twas not a very good way to go but yeah, hey if your eating so little should'nt you be losing weight like crazy? Thats usally a good indication if your not eating enough your fat will DROP...

Wait What your doing remindes me of a quote "Well i dont eat anything and when i feel like i'm going to faint i eat a cube of cheese" <<< i love that movie

Anyway i hope ya the best
    Catch

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yeah, I would say you are eating too little. If you don't like eating meals, you should try at least eating healthy snacks throughout the day and try to include all the food groups.

4. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whoa... 5 kilos in two weeks? I've been told losing anything more than 0.5 kilos a week (1 lb for our US and UK brethren) is unhealthy, so I would say yeah, you're losing too much weight and from below, it sounds like it's cuz you're not eating enough.

Vegemite? Oh no please, not vegemite!

Sorry... the perils of having parents who spent their formative years in Australia when the vegemite brainwashing took place. :slight_smile:

Yeah, so you're not even having two full meals a day? That's not enough food, especially not for a "growing boy" or "young lad" or basically anyone growing through adolescence.

If you're not usually going to bed until 2 or 3, you can definitely be eating past 8. I believe conventional wisdom is you shouldn't be eating anything substantial for 2 hours before bedtime. Given how your schedule is, you need a 3rd meal.

Fruit and veggies! Plus carbohydrates if you're not getting enough calories otherwise... pasta? Mmnn... delicious! Or bread. Bread is so yummy, and there are so many different kinds.

And nuts: high in the healthy fats and protein! Like if you have "real" peanut butter (where the peanut butter is mainly peanuts, not Kraft or Skippy "peanut butter") on bread, that's a relatively healthy way to get a lot of calories because bread has a lot and peanut butter has a ton. Eggs would also be good in terms of relatively healthy calories... at 18 you probably don't have to watch your cholesterol too closely.

Yes, well... people who have been starving cannot just start eating regularly when whatever was causing them to be starving ends... the body can't handles it. It basically "gets used to/adjust" to whatever pattern you are on, so your sense of hunger can get all wacked out. This is the same thing for people who eat too much and still feel hungry--either they can't "hear" their body saying "stop, no more!" or their body isn't sending the right signals.

But especially for people who aren't getting enough food, the body can't handle a sudden increase very well. So you have to ramp up gradually so you don't freak out your stomach and the rest of your digestive system.

Yep. It's not unhealthy to lose weight if you're overweight but losing weight that quickly is really bad for you and hard on your body, even if it's weight you need to lose (and having seen pictures of you, I'm guessing you don't need to lose weight). There's another thread around about a poster who lost 70 pounds in 5 months and is dealing with having loose skin as a result... that's part of the problem right there. That's why people who get (nasty as far as I'm concerned) gastric bypass surgery have to afterwards have plastic surgery to remove all the extra skin because they end up losing tons of weight very, very fast--too fast.

The body doesn't like quick changes. It likes gradual change if there's change to be had.

5. Grantious

^^^ i did not read the 5 KG's part lol
    *Blush*
    yea u should eat more

6. xxAngelOnFirexx

i'm anorexic and i eat more than that some days. some. thats normal though for more recenly. although i try not to. your not eating enough but eating disorders is about not wanting to be fat desperatly and having control.

7. davo-man

Thanks to all the people who read my post, and to those who posted their helpful advice. I'm gunna try ramping back up to what I used to eat (or at least a bit les, cos I was eating too much) and will def try some of the suggestions you gave Joey, esp bout the Peanut Butter, ill go find some of the real stuff. Also, it may have only been 4 kilos, i think I might have rounded it up slightly, but I think that's still too much...Anyway thanks

8. Louise

Well since I read all the way through I might as well answer. Not eating enough! Joey said it all really. All I might add is; is there a reason why, stress/worry/anxiety/life change/ which could explain your loss of appetite?

I have gone through stages where I could not finish a whole roll or sausage roll but mostly when I was not feeling fine in myself (not to say depressed).

If you need a bit of motivation remember too skinny is definately NOT sexy! :kiss:

9. Targirl

Basically, what everyone else says!
    Also, if you have genuinely lost your appetite, then it's probably worth a trip to the doctors.

10. shaun

sorry I didn't read all the replies, but you definitely need to eat more often. The best way of course is to eat often and eat small portions to keep your metabolism running. If you want to lose weight that's the best way to do it. 6 small meals a day with a minimum of 1200 calories a day just for your body to function correctly. If you plan on expending any energy throughout the day, you need more calories, somewhere in the range of 1600-2000.

what you're doing right now is training your body to prepare itself for starvation. The metabolism slows down and the body starts looking for other forms of energy since you haven't given it any calories. That means that it starts burning muscle tissue which is a definite downside for most people.