1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surgery Anxiety

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by electrolicious, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Hi guys,

I'll be getting my gallbladder removed in a week, and I'm getting pretty nervous. I've had my tonsils and wisdom teeth out with minimal anxiety, so I'm not sure why it's different this time. I've read statistics, and dying during surgery (from general anesthesia or otherwise) is quite rare, but I can't help think that I'll be in that 2% statistic of those who never wake up. I've done a lot of research, and it's comforted me in that I now know what to expect, but I'm also quite scared by the negative things I've read. I know that I want the surgery, because the pain from these stones has landed me in the ER twice, and the thought of it happening again has me paranoid. At the same time, I'm ready to have a panic attack from worrying so much.

Does anyone know a way that I can calm myself down? :frowning2:

2. Tycho

Try not to dwell on it and lay off doing any more research now. I've been in a similar situation and although getting knowledge on the issue is good it is only good to a point, because after a while you start to only sponge up all the negative/dangerous aspects of the surgery (which can be a bit unnerving).

If you consider yourself to be a pretty healthy individual then don't worry. 2% is a tiny statistic.

Try to think of how awesome it will be once the issue is resolved from this operation. No more visits to the ER!
    :thumbsup:

3. Yeah, I'm trying to stay away from those sites from now on. Besides being overweight by like 25lbs, I'd say I'm a fairly healthy person. It will definitely be cool to not have to worry about getting more attacks from this. Thanks for your reply, I feel a bit calmer today. :slight_smile:

4. julia

Ah, don't say that! You'll go into surgery and wake up healthier :wink: Don't worry about that teeny, tiny 2%.

5. dano22

dano22 Guest

It is normal to have anxiety about having surgery but let me tell you i had around since birth because of medical problems and I am lucky I am alive today. So if I make it through all these surgeries I know you can make it through this one.

6. Hey all,

Thanks for the support! Although I was still anxious, I had my surgery yesterday. I'm very tired and my whole torso hurts, but I'm glad I had it done --- my gallbladder was just starting to get infected. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to keep my stones though like I had hoped. :icon_sad: