1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hit my head yesterday morning, wondering now if I got a concussion?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Caoimhe Fayre, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Caoimhe Fayre

so there's this corner in my room that points towards the center of the room instead of pointing out, and my bed just happens to be against that corner (it's a mattress on the floor).

yesterday morning I hit my head against that corner when I woke up. then I went to school and wrote a quiz, sat through a class, and wrote two tests. I got three 90%s, but I felt really nauseous and out of it all day and I had trouble reading the questions on the last test. I had trouble focusing to colour in the scantron card, too.

the spot where I hit my head yesterday morning is still really tender today, and now it feels like it's burning, it's getting progressively worse.

I'm wondering if maybe I gave myself a concussion? but I read online that if you don't pass out, it's probably no big deal and to just wait 10 days and it'll go away? but it seriously hurts and I had a hard time in class today, too, I kept zoning out.

should I maybe just wait until tomorrow morning and if it still hurts so much maybe call telehealth or something then? I really want to go to sleep right now, I'm extremely tired (which could be legit since I was in class late last night and up early this morning for class again) and I don't want to wait in a half hour que to hear someone tell me I'm fine, that I've wasted their time and mine.

I tried googling it but the results are all so event-specific that they weren't really helpful.

2. julia

DEFINITELY go to a doctor's! There are too many cases where someone has hit their head, never gets it checked out and ends up dead months later. If it's bothering you most definitely go to a doctor just to make sure.

3. Kyubi

yeah, i agree....see a doctor rather than wait it out. Concussions seem harmless but i've seen people have to learn to walk again and practise their coordination after getting a concussion, no games.

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would see a doctor as well. I still have some short term memory loss from a concussion...

5. Yeah, sweetie. Please go to a doctor. Any injury to the head needs to at least get a check out to make sure there's nothing more serious going on. Even if you feel fine. It's much better to take a few minutes out of your day and make sure it's all good.

I actually slipped in the shower a few months ago, and smashed my forehead into the metal soap dish. Blacked out for a bit. Then when I came to, I was bleeding profusely, had a deep gash in my forehead was rushed to the hospital and had to get some stitches. Also suffered a mild concussion. But, ever since I've had some problems with memory. I used to have a really amazing memory, but now I have problems remembering names when I first meet someone, or remembering previous things that I used to have a knack for. Also, I now look like Harry Potter. (my scar actually looks a bit like a lightning bolt, and I wear black glasses) ^_^

Anyways, my point is, get it checked out. (*hug*)

#5 frozenandbroken, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2012
  6. Fiddledeedee

Concussions, even mild ones, can have effects. The only one I ever had, I only realised some days later that I had blacked out at all, but I had dizziness and headaches for about two or three days. Go and see a doctor just to make sure there isn't anything worse, and maybe they can give you some short-term medication if the effects are severe enough to be lasting for another few days.

7. Silver Sparrow

I hit my head once during a hockey game, and it can be really scary. I'd definitely say that since you were having some concentration issues and vision issues to get it checked out. Those are some of the first signs they look for.

8. Caoimhe Fayre

...but the concentration and vision issues went away. I felt mostly fine all day today. Maybe tomorrow before class I will go see what the school nurse suggests.

9. KaraBulut

Even though the symptoms have gotten better, you should still see a doctor and tlet the doctor make the decision whether you're fine.

Head injuries can be cumulative and repeated injury can lead to permanent damage. It's better to know that you've suffered a concussion and if so, you should avoid sports and situations where you may experience another head injury.

10. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would still get I checked out. Like KaraBulut said, you want to know for sure because you want to avoid situations where it can happen again.