1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Little scared...

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Hawthorne, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Hawthorne

So I have started losing weight(I now fit in my old jeans and cloths small moral victory!) but I am afraid of what happens after I lose it... I will more than likely go through a surgery to get rid of all the excess skin and I am a bit scared from the stories I have been reading and some good and some sooooooo horrible, I just needed to vent a little on how it makes me feel what do you all think once I lose the weight what I should do..?:tears:

2. Skies

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The skin is a flexible organ, specially when you're young. In order to have a really noticeable excess amount of skin, you would have to undergo a rather steep weight loss. If that's the case, and surgery is indeed necessary, I would urge you to be calm. Take your time, find a trust worthy professional and relax. My father is a plastic surgeon and he has to carry out this sort of surgeries quite often. It is not a very complicated procedure and the risk factor is quite low. As long as you search carefully and place yourself in good hands, you need not worry. Best of luck!

3. BudderMC

I also want to throw in that as you lose the weight, you'll immediately begin to feel loads better about yourself anyway, despite the extra skin you've got. I personally have a bit, and while I don't like it, I can still say I feel way better about myself now than I did before.

If it's something that's really bothering you though, surgery is definitely an option. I know a guy who just underwent the surgery for his torso, and I think it was something like 14lbs of extra skin they ended up removing. He, of course, looks great, and the surgery itself went find. There was a recovery period like all surgeries, but all in all the risk was pretty low. It's up to you to decide whether or not it bothers you enough to make surgery a viable option. :slight_smile:

But yeah, skin is pretty elastic as it is. I wouldn't concern yourself with it until you're at a weight that you're happy with/will keep stable. Then you can see how your skin reacts to the loss.

4. KaraBulut

Honestly, it's better to cross that bridge when you get to it. You won't know exactly how much excess skin there will be and how you will look until you get to your target weight. If you're young, you will see some retraction of your skin. But because different types of skin have different properties, there is not a good way to predict how much your skin will retract.

Keep working out and managing your diet. You will begin to feel better both physically and mentally. It will take a while for your brain to adjust to seeing a realistic picture of your new body. You'll often hear people who lose weight say, "I still think of myself as 'that fat person'" because our mental image of body is often different than the reality.

5. Hawthorne

Yeah I understand that, I just have had this kind of issue for most of my life and now that I am changing it lots of things are happening to me and it makes me very nervous. I kinda wanted to look into the surgery cause I would have to save the money because I doubt my insurance would be paying for it. Well I just am a bit scared it will be the first major surgery I will have ever had and I hear it is minimal risk and such but it still worries me greatly. Also why are people ashamed of the scars from surgeries like an abdomnioplasty and all the other skin tightening surgeries what I read just says how can I make them be hidden or how can I make them not noticeable and such when I will be proud of it because of the accomplishment that I will have made.

6. nydtc

Abdomnioplasty has to do with how long you were heavy, how heavy you were, where you carried your weight and how quickly it came off.
    Now, having said that - I had two abdom surgeries - first of which hurt more than I could have imagined. But I love the results.
    I don't think its shame that makes people hide the scars. I think after having gone thru with it you - you want your body to look as good as possible ( you have spent time, money and energy to look good) so that's part of it. After there is still very much a culture of plastic surgery is just for vanity. I think people underscore the importance of body image to mental health.
    But I will agree with the poster about who said cross that bridge when you get there. It took me a year from realizing I needed to surgery to actually having it - so you will have time to stress then!

7. BudderMC

If it'd help you move past the thought, then maybe to a bit of research into it. That way you can start saving up for it, allowing you to keep pushing for your goal. And if it so happens at the end that you don't need the surgery, then you've got quite a bit of extra money, right?

I think the only reason people (myself included) are telling you to not think about it till you get there is because otherwise, you might find yourself worrying about it the whole time, which isn't conducive to reaching your goal. :slight_smile:

8. Hawthorne

Thank you I now have been relieved I guess I will just put it to the back of my mind.

9. KaraBulut

When you do get down to that point, if it is an issue for you, repost your question and I will be happy to provide you with the information that you would need to know.

#9 KaraBulut, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  10. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In addition to what everyone else has said, you want to make sure that after you loose the weight, you can sustain your new weight well. Scar tissue doesn't stretch and grow the same way as normal skin does, and the surgery line would be especially vulnerable if you were to start putting the weight back on after the surgery. I agree with what BudderMC said - research and start saving now. Worst that can happen is you don't end up wanting/needing the surgery, and have a nice little piggy bank saved up.

11. Ariel Perkins

Skin Tightening Procedures

Let us confer quite a few preferred skin tensing procedures for face and neck for having a broader perception on skin tightening.(!)