1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anxiety sucks

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by amychan12, Jun 11, 2012.

1. amychan12

I have a mental problem known ad GAD or generalized anxiety disorder and it can be a real problem for me I can't do the things I want because the anxiety is to great I'm trying to over come it but it's difficult and it makes me feel miserable I have problems separating from my parents especially my mom I'm better than I used to be but it's still hard I want to do more things to separate and get better any suggestions?:tears:

2. ArcaneVerse

Too fucking true, anxiety is a bitch. *hugz*, dont have much to offer in terms of suggestions but I know how much it sucks and your definitely not the only one out there dealing with anxiety.

I think the only thing i could suggest other then seeing a therapist is to find a few close friends that understand your anxiety and will help you through it and help you be more independent.

I found being around a group of people who accepted me for me and that understood my anxiety, to be very helpful in gaining the confidence to be more independent and to rely less on other people and more on myself.

3. amychan12

My parents and one of my brothers understands how I feel actually my friend whom I've known for years doesn't understand:icon_sad:

4. Adam123

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey amy :slight_smile: I've actually been diagnosed with Generalised anxiety disorder myself around 2 years ago (as you can tell by my spelling I'm english xP).
    I too had a strong dependence on my mother, and to this day I still very close to her but not as dependent. I had all the cognitive behavioral therapy and I was on diazapam for a while, but I would honestly say that like with most things, the best healer is time. Just keep powering through, and maybe try to pinpoint a few things that exasibate your anxiety. For me, coming out was a big concern, and a lot of my generalised anxiety centered around that whether I noticed it or not, for example worrying about going to a gathering because most of my friends were girls, or worrying about the way I dressed or the way I acted around people. I eventually began to realise that my worries were a bit over the top, and there was actually no one stopping myself from enjoying life but myself.
    I'm not saying your anxiety is going to dissapear overnight, infact mine was so gradual I didn't even notice until I reflected on how I was a year ago. I would suggest just working on being happy in yourself, and trying not obsess over the little things. I have a couple of outgoing friends and I sometimes ask myself "would X worry about this?" "would Y avoid doing this?" and that usually helps.
    I realise I'm rambling and might have been waffling I'm sorry but I hope some of this might help you in some way.

5. ArcaneVerse

Its good you have supportive family, my brother and his fiance are awesome about my anxiety and my parents try to be but they are parents so that kinda gets in the way of them being understanding and helpful.

I find it easier to be around people who know and understand my anxieties, most of my close friends are pretty good with it (though most of them are online its still a big help as a lot of my anxiety is still trigger through online socializing) and they know my limitations and when to push me outside of my comfort zone.

I would try talking to your long time friend and trying to get them to help you through it, friends can be an amazing force, always there for you to lean on but always willing to tell you your being a dumbass XD.

This is good advice, time can be everything. I've had anxiety issues most of my life but was diagnosed with General Anxiety Disorder about 6+ years ago, I also have a lot of Social Anxiety, Specific Anxiety and I'm also Agoraphobic.

Now everyone is different and will make changes and improvements on their own time when their ready to do so but you also have to be willing to push yourself every now and then too. This is where its good to have someone like a good friend to help you do the things you want to do but cant do on your own.

For me most of my anxiety is eased when I feel I'm in control, I know where it is I'm going, how long I'm going to be there, how many people are going to be there etc and also knowing I have someone to bring me home when I need to leave is a big thing for me. You may work differently but I'm sure you know how your anxiety works and can explain to the close people around you what you need to feel comfortable.

6. amychan12

Thanks guys it's nice to know I'm not alone:icon_redf and it really does suck recently me and my brother were planning to go to Disney world later this year but we won't be able to go cause I had anxiety about going I felt really bad cause my brother wanted to take me but he wasn't upset he understood how I felt hopefully we can plan it for next year by then I might be able to work out my fears and won't be as scared to go I'm sad to cause this would have been my first time going to disney but my mom said I'm just not ready this year so maybe next year:icon_sad: