1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gah Acne

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by dictionary, Jan 13, 2008.

1. dictionary

I have it and obiously dont like it.....

I take Medication for it but it will takes a while to cure it

Dose any one have tips???

2. CrimsonThunder

I thought taking medication leaves scars. (well something does, I know ripping them off does)

Clean your skin would be a tip.

Or you could just leave them, as it is a natural thing for your body.

3. Kovax14

Kovax14 Guest

acne medication is huge scam, or it has been at least in my experience. I was going to a dermatologist for a few years and paying 300-400 dollars for a little tube of cream each time, under the direction that I wash my face twice daily and use the cream every night. all that resulted from that was dry skin, and worse acne. I decided to take a self imposed break from the medication and I went out and bought a 7 dollar face scrub (Clearasil daily face scrub for men), and now that is all I use. i use it once in the morning when i shower, and after that I apply a moisturizing lotion for sensitive skin (nivea for men extra soothing lotion). after that I go the whole day without doing anything else until the next morning. the only thing i make sure to do is avoid touching my face and adding unnecessary extra oil. nowadays i have practically zero acne, perfectly moisturized skin (i havent had dry skin at all in months, mostly because i don't wash my face as unnecessarily often) and it seems that the less that I did about it, the less acne i actually had

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    My kids all had acne. The prescribed medications never worked for them. They use the St. Ives medicated apricot scrub in the shower and then follow-up with a moisturizer and that seems to work really good. Moisturizer is important because your skin tends to produce more oil if its dry. This is a good website for acne sufferers: www.acne.com

5. CrimsonThunder

Something tells me that site was made by Proactiv Solution. >_> (it is)

6. yaoi fanboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    well like they all said u can use a acne scrub at the store but to really help it use eye drops,

eye drops will clear the redness out of your acne and make it look like you don't have any even though u do.(make sure the eye drops say redness remover)

7. sdc91

I used to use Proactiv, then my parents got me Acne Free, which is pretty much a generic ripoff. That didn't work.

So now I'm on minocycline, Differin, and some 8% salicylic acid cream. It's supposed to take 8 weeks to show, and I've only done about 2. It seems to be working alright, but it's EXPENSIVE. I'd try the stuff Kovax mentioned if I were you.

8. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight

Maybe I gave you the wrong website. My daughter uses several different products that are not Proactiv. I'll have to check with her.

9. Ty

Ty Guest

I have dry skin (well on my face anyways) and im not sure what sort of lotion i'd use on my face cause i think most of the ones in my bathroom are like greasy and not good for teh face...

Ahem

10. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
  11. EthanS

EthanS Guest

Clean your face with a exfoliant, then use baby oil on your face :wink: daily :slight_smile: Ive been told baby oil makes your skin all nice, kinda works too :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Baby products are normally mild and gentle, so you know they won't he harsh on your skin.

I have used baby soap and baby shampoo since my late teens. It was taking this gentle approach instead of using various acne products that finally got my acne under control. I also used to have greasy hair but the mild shampoo helped that too, probably by not drying out my scalp so it didn't produce the oil.

13. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I'm not sure I would try baby oil on acne. That seems like it would make it much worse plus that it can cause extreme sunburn if you get out in the sun.

14. ppreston9

ppreston9 Guest

i have some pretty bad acne on my forehead, and i have used various different acne medicnes with no result. now i am taking a medice called Acutane. It is the strongest acne medicine out there and one of the strongest in general. It is a very controlled subtsance. i have taken it for a little over a month with some good improvement, i will be on it a little longer hoping for some more results. This medicine has been 100% effective at my dermatologist, but this is like the godly medicine when the other ones cant do the job for you. This medicine requires monthly blood tests just in case and females cant have sex while on this or their baby will be deformed.

I also like this medicine because it is once/ day and no cream necessary. i would recommend this if you want to save money. There are also lots of generic brands for this too.

15. Hollywood

if you're taking medication then you'll need to suffer through it for a few weeks and see if it gets better. if not, go back to your doctor and try something else-it took about a year to get a good combination of meds for me (an oral and 2 topicals) and my face is never truely 100% clear but its 1000x better then it was three years ago. the only issue is eventually weening yourself off the medication because you cant stay on it forever. im at that stage now.

16. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I used to use proactive but it didn't do crap, I now take pills and use a special medicated facewash, the effect is ok but not really that noticeable

17. StudMuffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Same here, except most of my acne was on my back (bacne) rather than my face, which I'm extremely thankful for. Anyway, last summer I kinda got sick and tired of dealing with my acne after trying products like ProActiv, Acne Free, natural remedies, etc. - all of which didn't really work all that much. =/ So, I finally went to my derm and she gave me this cream (it was called Tretinoin or something) and a cream that I had to put on every day. Supposedly, I was to suppose to see results by the second month but all that med did was screw up my skin. :confused: I was pissed, lol. So after I met with her again, she put me on Accutane and tomorrow I'm going to her office and getting my blood taken to start my fourth month.

All I can say is that this stuff WORKS. At first I broke out really bad, though, since it's supposed to bring EVERYTHING out. This lasted for like 2 months and by the third my skin was becoming more smooth and now I only have a few left and even those are disappearing (and I had A LOT). =] The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that you're left with lots of blemishes since Accutane slows the recovery of your skin, but my derm told me those would fade pretty quick once I'm done since my skin will start recovering faster, so we'll see.

But yeah ^_^ to the OP I suggest Accutane if your derm offers it. Lots of people give it a bad rep for some reason, but everyone I know who has taken it didn't regret it at all. Most of them have the clearest skin I've seen, too. =]

18. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

Accutane has a bad rep because since it's really strong it can damage your liver which is why monthly blood test's are required. This can also lead to bad breath XD. Accutane is also strong and cause some of the users to go into depression and have many suicidal thoughts/feelings which is why it is very monitered on the amount you are taking and the type of patient you are. I was going to be put on Accutane but...when i called to make my appointment whith my derm stupid nurse didn't even book it >< so now its like in april..

19. Keegan1

Exactly wat i do it works :wink:

20. Time

I took Accutane for approximately 3 months, and I now have virtually clear skin. I had moderate acne.

Taking it is absolute HELL. It completely dries up your body. Chapped lips 24/7, bladder infections, nose bleeds, peeing blood, all that. I hated it. But it was worth it.