1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hypoglycemia?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by midwestgirl89, Jun 19, 2012.

1. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Does anyone have hypoglycemia? What do you do about it? I've had it for a while but it's getting worse. I have to eat every few hours or I feel faint and get a bad headache. Coca-Cola helps the most if it is really bad for the sugar count. I had to pull over my car once to get food and Coca-Cola so I wouldn't become too dizzy.

I get antsy, faint, shaky, light-headed, nauseated, and headache-y if I get to feeling hypoglycemic or like I haven't eaten in a while. I know the number one thing to change is diet but I don't know how to change that when I constantly need to balance my sugar intake with my energy levels. I'm tired alot so I use caffeine to stay awake like coffee. I don't eat that unhealthy other than the Coca-Cola and coffee.

2. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a type 1 diabetic and have this problem all the time. I suggest asking a doctor about it, but my advice is to just carry around hard candy with you, or have juice boxes in the fridge. Eat more carbohydrates with your meals which will keep your blood sugar up -- fruits, vegetables (but only a little bit), dairy and grains all have carbs in them. I don't know what else to suggest. Just try to keep your blood sugar up as best as you can. Good luck.

3. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for your advice. Do you think type 1 diabetes and hypoglycemia go hand-in-hand? I'm not sure if they do but you've helped. I'm going to look up both now. I've heard that I'm supposed to eat protein like in peanut butter instead of sugar overall. Eating sugar is good for a moment and then about an hour later there is a crash. But it's a good idea to have juice boxes around rather than Coke since fruit juice is at least good for you. I'll try to make a doctor's appointment, thanks.

4. baklangpinoy26

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    my dad was deathly hypoglycemic, he had diabetes and he wasnt eating like he's spose to, so he's in his room, door locked, i think nothing of it, turns out his blood sugar was so low he almost went into a coma, when he was coming to, he didnt know who i was at first or my mom, he's like who are they? pointing at us asking the paramedics, he's like u dont remember who they are?? but then he started remembering as they raised his blood sugar

5. Zapha

Hmmm diabetes causes hyperglycaemia (high blood sugar levels); the medications that are used to treat diabetes are what cause hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar levels).

Are you diabetic - if so, then perhaps your hypoglycaemia would be related to your medication regimen? If so, talk to your doctor about adjusting the dosage (insulin dosages can be relatively flexible). Mild hypoglycaemia will respond to glucose (your coca cola, you can try glucose tablets or jelly beans as another alternative). After you've responded, you should ideally be eating something with longer acting carbohydrates afterwards (e.g. a sandwich) to help prevent further hypoglycaemia.

Regardless whether your have diabetes or not, have a chat with your doctor next time you see them. Sometimes a session with a dietician can be beneficial as well - they can review your diet and perhaps make some suggestions.

6. KaraBulut

Just to expand upon your doctor's recommendation.

Hard candy is a good idea- they're practical for keeping in a backpack, a pocket or a locker and you don't have to worry about them going stale or spoiling like juice or crackers.

But keep in mind that sugar is a quick-fix. If you're feeling like you're having a hypoglycemic episode the best thing to do is to have a meal. What I tell patients is that if they have that shaky, sweating or hard to concentrate sensation, then start with the hard candy to get their blood sugar up but it's better to have a real meal or a snack shortly afterward so that you don't have another episode in 30 minutes when the quick fix sugar wears off.

7. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I don't have diabetes but hypoglycemia runs in my family. My grandma and mom both had/have it. I didn't realize the medicine for diabetes could cause hypoglycemia. The hypoglycemia that I have isn't related to diabetes as far as I know.

KaraBulut, I use sugar in Coca-Cola when I get to feeling really sick. I keep having spells where I feel shaky, headache-y, nauseated, and upset because of the sugar and food issues. I have to constantly have food with me and it isn't getting better. I do agree that a real meal does better than sugary snacks but even with real meals, I can't go to events unless I'm 100% sure I will have access to snacks in my purse or a Coca-Cola if my head starts to spin. In the past week I've felt hypoglycemic almost every day which increases the amount of headache medicines I need and etc. Do you have any other advice or do you think I should go to the doctor about it?

---------- Post added 23rd Jun 2012 at 08:47 PM ----------

Thanks I'm thinking of talking to a doctor or dietitian.

8. KaraBulut

If this is happening even though you are eating a normal diet, then you should discuss it with your doctor. There are some tests that they can do be to monitor how your body responds to glucose.