1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh Dear GOD! What the hell?!

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by RemyLeBeau, Jun 20, 2012.

1. RemyLeBeau

RemyLeBeau Guest

Soooo I was walking down the street with my girlfriend and pointed out a cute little bunny jumping around in the grass. She agreed it was a handsome bunny and pointed out another farther down the road. Of course, I started laughing and teased her about it considering it was not a rabbit at all, but a freaking BIRD. After about 3 comments about her inability to tell the two apart, she started to look miserable. Despite my usual inability to pick up emotions, I did notice this and started apologizing.

"You really need to know that... I'm going to go blind!" I always knew my girlfriend had terrible eyesight, but I wasn't prepared to hear that. She then went on to say that her mother has this thing where her eyes are RIPPING IN FUCKING HALF in the back, and that she probably has the same thing. I just about fainted when this lovely piece of knowledge hit me. I assume that I don't need to mention that there is no cure!

I don't think she called it anything, so I can't really tell you what it is, but DEAR GOD. I don't want my girlfriend going through what sounds like unimaginable pain. I don't want her to go blind and miss out on this beautiful world we live on. I want her to get better.

Even though this isn't going to happen for years, I'm worried as hell. Has anyone else heard of this stupid thing?

2. i havent heard of what your girlfriend has, but my borther is blind in one eye and it happened gradually. i cant mind what its called, but i think its something to do with a nerve in his eye that just stopped working or something.....

this probs didnt help, but youre not alone.
    (*hug*)

3. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It does sound horrible, I can't imagine going blind; but you'll be there for her and that's what matters.

It could be retinal atrophy. That's genetic and progresses to full blindness, there isn't a cure.

I'm sorry you have to go through that. (*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)

4. Koolladgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You will just have to support her through this. That's all that you can do.

5. breakingboxes

I have something similar. Stopped going to doctor after doctor after they couldnt figure it out. I know I will eventually be blind.

6. RemyLeBeau

RemyLeBeau Guest

I'll always be there for her, even if she goes blind, deaf and mute all at once, but I don't want her to ever go through that. And it sounds so painful! The poor baby...

7. PurpleCrab

You know, blind people usually have their other senses compensate..? Your girlfriend might feel the world so much more intensely as she looses her sight. She's going to experience a way of life that isn't that painful, in a way that most people don't.
    Lots of blind people are very happy with their lives, are in love... living normal lives, seeing with their hands, their ears, their noses. Life changes everybody in different ways. Life's gonna change you as well and it may not be for the worse. Be there for her, and who knows, maybe she will be the one helping YOU through this.

8. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I know very well how this feels like... Unlike your girlfriend, there are things doctors can do for me to prevent total blindness, so I have it much easier, but it's still... Very difficult. Especially considering how many idiots there are who don't believe these kinds of conditions exist, or ask "can't they cure you with a laser or something nowadays?"

What often helped me was remembering that quite a few very famous people had very serious eyesight problems and eventually went blind, but It didn't hold them back (as banal as it sounds.) Yes, I doubt I'm another Leonard Euler or Eric Hoffer, but it's still very comforting to know that even if the worst happens, it's not the end.

#8 WeirdnessMagnet, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  9. Nadski

Nadski Guest

my best friend only has 10% vision and is legally blind, it will get worse over time but she is the most lovely, happy and kind person i have ever met. She may not be able to see much of the world but like others have said her other senses kick in and she is still able to enjoy things. another friend of mine also in a few years may go completely blind, however, she is living her dream and singing and recording.

i just want you to know that your girlfriend still has a lot she can do, and having support like you she will be able to be happy and still able to enjoy her life. i know its hard though

10. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    Although this is a little off topic, I heard about this invention that can take pictures of rooms and allow blind people to feel it.

11. Chickzak

Second this for sure!

Just remember you have each other and you'll always face challenges in life, some pretty straightforward and others life changing, but if you get through it together, it'll only make you stronger. Hope things work out well :slight_smile: :kiss:

12. Foxywolf

Wow that's really tough, but you always have to look at the bright side of life! Does your girlfriend like dogs? If yes then she will be able to get an awesome seeing eyed dog eventually. Going blind is tough, but blind people definately do not live lives 'less than' other people. Sure it will be a BIG adjustment, but all will be well, and as long as she has people there to support her then it should all work out okay.

13. dl72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry to hear that. Just being supportive and be there for her is really all you can do.

14. Emberblaze

I wish you two the best since I can't give any information on the matter. Stay strong for her and keep her at ease.

15. laras

I want to share a story of my sister who got better from a weird problem with her eyes. I hope you see this as an inspiration. I really feel for you, I knew the pain I went through when my sister got sick. My sister went legally blind when she was in high school. She has always been the person to get random weird issues. (thats another story all together)

Her issue was floating "clouds"... she could only see things from the side. they moved around and prevented her from seeing things directly in front of her, like there was darkness where ever she looked.

There were doctors that flew in from Germany, Her case was one of the worst they had seen and but the fact that the "cloud" moved around they were really interesting to them. She remembers 10 doctors all from different locations talking about different treatments. her eyes were dialated (not sure how you spell that) it seamed for weeks as they ran tests.

After about a year, she got used to her vision grew to live her life as she was. Then one day she was drinking milk (out of the carton, something our family always hated when she did it... but she did it when no one was looking. We busted her as she dropped the milk when her vision returned. All over the carpet, and since I was the little sister guess who cleaned it up ^.-) She said it looked like something was being flushed down the toilet but it was the clouds in her eyes.

Beautiful day for our family, but after so long we accepted what her vision was. hopped for the best but knew she would be okay and happy even if she had a disability.

I hope the best for you and your girlfriend.

<3

16. Kerploop

I am so so sorry. I really do hope a miracle happens. I hope she gets to see the beautiful things is this world before/IF anything happens to her vision. My aunt is blind, but can see the outline of people, and light. Good luck! I hope nothing happens to her!

17. Pippa

Pippa Guest

Macular degeneration? Maybe that's it, you could read up on it.... the best thing I can say to you at this point is, you need to be as supportive as you can, it sounds like she needs to not have people in her life who are going to bail on her. You can still be happy, even if the worst does happen, I'm convinced of that.... keep us posted, k?

#17 Pippa, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2012
  18. Keelin

Oh My God. I really don't know what to say.

Can't she have eye surgery. There. has. to. be. something! :tantrum:

You may only be able to support her through this. I feel really really bad for you two.

(*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*)

~Keelin