1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seeing Things

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Steam Giant, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Steam Giant

I had a thread about this previously, but it seems it's good and burried by now, so I'm just starting a new one.

Anyway, the other day I decided not to go to sleep, and instead work through the night. "through the night" turned out to be "through the night, morning and afternoon." For the last several hours of this work, I started seeing things, and it was really freaking me out. Like I could swear I saw the pop singer on my desktop dancing more than once, my door open, something on my desk fall, things like that. While none of these happened when I was directly looking at something, I can't really say they were happening "out of the corner of my eye" either.

They've stopped now that I've gotten some sleep. Is it normal to see things like this when you're sleep deprived?

2. I see things when I'm sleep deprived sometimes too. :roflmao:
    But weirder than that I always see a "black figure" out of the corner of my eye, at first I thought it was just my hair but I was still seeing "it" when I was wearing a beanie. I take it I'm just crazy but sometimes it freaks me out. :roflmao:

*edit* Also one time when I had a fever my friend was staying over, I got the fever during the night, but I started to hallucinate and believed that I could move things with my mind. So I woke up my friend who was sleeping beside me and told him I was straightening out the creases in the blanket with my mind, but apparently I was just using my hands. :icon_redf

#2 The Enigmatic, Jan 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2008
  3. Jim1454

I'd say your lucky if that's all that happened when you stayed up all night and through the next day! Go to bed!

4. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

This sort of thing is common with lack of sleep. Some are more sensitive to it than others. That is why it is a good thing to get proper sleep, it helps our minds to no play tricks on us. Sleep deprivation if significant enough and long enough can lead to very weird behavior and eventually a psychotic break. So go easy on the working through the night on things, most times it doesn't help and certain things may well have to be redone because we thought it was being done right, but it was not.

5. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How sleep deprived were you when went into it?

I've had to pull all-nighters before and then not get to bed till the next evening (36-40 hours without sleep) and although I'm noticeably tired and mentally sluggish, I've never had hallucinations.

I only do it if it's absolutely necessary, eg: if I have a report due. I do it as a last resort and only if I know I won't have to do anything important the next day. And it's generally for menial report work, I can't do higher level maths thinking.

I never never never do an allnighter to study for a test. It's better to have some sleep before going in. I also never drive after pulling an allnighter. Your abilities are diminished as much as drinking. I also try to sleep as soon as possible for as long as possible. For example I might sleep 12 hours the next night.

6. Hollywood

yeahhh i don't think you're an exception. i'm pretty sure it happens to a lot of people