1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Milk-related gas?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by solarcat, Jun 26, 2012.

1. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    For the last few days, I've been really gassy and flatulent. And I'm trying to figure out why. My first thought was that it's related to my diet, but that hasn't changed recently, so it shouldn't suddenly give me gas.

It might be the milk- I'm not lactose intolerant, but this carton of milk is different; normally I drink 2% milk, but I don't know what this one is- it doesn't say whole, fat-free, or skim. But could drinking milk of a different fat content be what's giving me gas?

2. jdarg

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Happens to me all the time, too. I'd say lay off the milk for a while to see if anything changes. If it happens to be the milk, try a substitute - almond milk is pretty good or if you can't give it up, Gas-X.

3. KaraBulut

Try switching to Lactaid or another lactose-free milk. If the gas resolves, it is likely that you have become deficient in the enzyme that breaks down milk sugar (lactose).

In general, intestinal gas is caused by the naturally occurring bacteria in your colon. In the food we all eat, there is a portion of the food that we can digest and a portion of the food that we cannot digest. The bacteria have the advantage of being able to digest the food that you cannot digest.

So, this is why high fiber foods like cabbage, high starch foods like beans and, for those who cannot digest milk, sugars like lactose cause gas.

If it's not the milk, then you may need to look at the other foods in your diet.

4. shy

shy

I've heard that the combination of milk and fish is not good for digestion but haven't found it proved in any way.
    Milk is actually a pretty complex emulsion with many contents and milk may therefore still be the cause of your gas troubles even if you're not lactose intolerant.