1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shin pain the day after exercising?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by ANightDude, Jun 26, 2012.

1. ANightDude

So recently I've decided to get healthier and start working out more and running and such, but unfortunately, I've been having this horrible pain in my shin bones that's been preventing me from actually doing anything cardio-related. They almost feel like their bruised. Yes, this is on both legs.

I start running and I have to stop because the pain is too bad. They just hurt. It's not just when I run, it's just when I walk around doing normal things too, but that tends to fade away after a while. What can I do to prevent this pain from happening when I start working out and running/cardio exercises?

On a side note, is there any exercise I can do that doesn't involve running or anything like that while I wait for this pain to pass? Thanks a bunch.

2. Philvanuirle

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Okay, I'm a runner, and worst things have happened to me. Hopefully, you stretch every muscles especially when you're new before every run. Also, neither sprint, nor run like a cheetah, try to jog first and if you run out of breath, and it's recent so you will, walking would be fine, just don't walk too slow, do a speed walk. Make sure you run 1m as for starters and work through it. In addition, stretch after every run and ice all the pains. Just ice ice ice.

Now the shin is I believe below your knee? Just below, connecting the ankle and shin? I think yeah.... stretch is really important; however, wearing the incorrect running shoes could cause the pain sometimes. I can't explain in details on how to stretch the shin, but if you sit on the floor, with legs straight, reach for your toes and you should feel some stretching somewhere in that area.

I'll have to ask one of my coaches for further details, but that is all I can say.

Damn... this is long... sorry for making you read so much

3. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Did you have this problem before you started jogging?

I've started running again recently, and the first week was sheer hell on my shins. Now they only ache when I up my workout by too much. I sort of like the soreness and stiffness though, as it means that my body is changing (unless it is worse than normal, then it wouldn't be enjoyable and I would seek medical treatment/ lay off running for a few days.

4. ANightDude

Nah, it's usually only after a workout. I guess you can say it happens when I push myself more than I usually do, but it's almost always after around simply a five/ten minute jog. I don't really feel it until the day after. It's not really the muscles but the bone.

I'm gonna start start stretching more, that's something I haven't really been doing when it comes to working out a whole lot. Does ice really work on sore shins?

I've been suspecting the shoes for a long time now. I don't use regular running shoes, I just use whatever shoes I've got lying around with my work-out. What shoes would be better?

5. Philvanuirle

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well the routine for me is:

1) Drink Water everyday, but not maybe chug an hour before you run, because it will hurt your sides. Sip it if you are about to run.
    2) Strecth a lot before you run.
    3) Control breathing. Try to breathe with your nose, as it will lessen your tiredness, but sometimes you will need to breathe with your mouth (that's normal)
    4) Jog, don't sprint. Not even strive yet. I suggest 3m? But don't jog all of it if you can't. Jog and fast walk it x).
    5) Once done, stretch. Drink water. Some people prefer Powerade(but not my body)

Sure, people can run with any shoes(I've ran with Vans because I forgot my running shoes, and well... it was a pain X)) Asics Gel are one of the best running shoes(for distance running). Don't even use Nike, it'll hurt. Addidas is alright, if it has support on the bottom, it'll be fine. Pumas are decent, but it will hurt your feet as it has no support. And new shoes might need some time to be worn out to feel fully comfortable.

Stretches:

1) Butterfly
    2) Feet together then reach down to your toes
    3) Right over left then down
    4) Left over right then down
    5) Pull your right leg with your hand up as far as you can go to your back. And repeat with the other
    6) Legs out like your about to do a split(but don't literally), and reach far back in the middle as much as you can and hold.
    7) Hold #7 posture, but this time reach for your right toes.
    8) After that go for the left.
    9) (This is unexplainable sorry :icon_sad:slight_smile:

Each stretch at least 10-15 seconds. Relax the muscles after each stretch before the next.

6. KaraBulut

Some soreness in the legs is normal, particularly the day after a workout.

However, if this is persistent and focused on your shins, it could be medial tibial stress syndrome, commonly called "shin splints".