1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Working out after eating a meal

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Chickzak, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Chickzak

I quite often do this, but a lot of people say its bad for you.
    Is this true? And to what extent?

My mum was explaining how eating straight after eating a full meal (say for example, fish and chips :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:), it does more harm to my health than helping me.

True/False?

Thanks EC :slight_smile:

2. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I don't think it's bad for you necessarily but I know from personal experience that it makes a workout really hard to get through. You should only eat very lightly before workouts if you eat at all. Usually I don't eat before I run or anything, but if I do then it's just some fruit or a granola bar or something like that.

3. Philvanuirle

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Fish and chips are unhealthy, so it is definitely unhealthy. In addition, running right after you eat or chug a drink, will cause you to hurt. Furthermore, if you want to work out or excercise, make sure you drink anytime until 1 hour before(that's maybe for running). And eat after workout/excercise or eat 4 hours before to digest it(again maybe for running). I don't know what "work out" you do, but that's is what I know. Also, it's unhealthy to not eat vegetables and fruits once in a while. Finally, water is your best friend(or for some people Powerade, I don't know why, not for me)!

4. Do you immediately work out right after you've eaten? If so, that's not good for you.

Eating Fish n' Chips kind of negates the purpose of working out, no? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

You should fuel your body with healthy food about 30 minutes prior to a workout, and hydrate. Nothing massive. This way you don't crash during your workout, but you also don't run the risk of cramps or feeling sick. You should also have a good recovery workout snack, and lots of water. Always hydrate your body.

So yes you do want to eat (healthy) before a workout, but, give your body some time to rest and digest the nutrients needed to keep your energy up, and give you a good workout!

5. Gen

Gen

Its best to eat a small snack a hour or two before a work out. Then, to eat a full meal after the work out. After a work out your metabolism stays high for a few hours after( possible all day if it is a intense work out). So during this time your body will take the food you eat and turn it into energy to rebuild muscles. Otherwise your food would be stored as fat. So always after. Always drink PLENTY of water during the meal after too.

Its best to wake up in the morning, and eat a breakfeast high in protein and calories(Eggs and Ham/Bacon/Chicken). Wait atleast a hour, till whenever you feel confortable. Work out. Then eat lunch.