1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Melanoma scare.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by PeaceLoveJoy, Jun 26, 2012.

1. PeaceLoveJoy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey all :slight_smile: This question is a bit aimed towards the people who have had melanoma and caught it in time or if you knew someone who had it and got it removed. The reason I'm asking is because, a mole on my right pinky has gotten a shade lighter and is very slightly raised. It was a bit darker before, I should add. I probably don't have anything to worry about, but still I would like to find solace. I know that no one on here is a professional doctor, but just some advice would be lovely :slight_smile: Thank you.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    actually, KB is a licensed nurse practitioner, which for our purposes, is pretty much the same thing. But be that as it may, no one here (or anyone else on the Internet) can diagnose something for you, nor would it be ethical to do so.

In general, the rule used to be (and KB can correct me if I'm wrong) that there was an "ABC" rule about melanoma:

Asymmetric: If you draw a line through this mole, the two halves will not match.

Border: The borders of an early melanoma tend to be uneven. The edges may be scalloped or notched.

Color: Having a variety of colors is another warning signal. A number of different shades of brown, tan or black could appear. A melanoma may also become red, blue or some other color.

Melanoma, in particular, can spread rapidly and is deadly if not treated, but also has a phenomenally high cure rate if caught early and the tumor excised. So if you have a question, it's always sensible to get it checked out. I know that's a scary thought -- and that's what keeps people from going to get it checked out -- but honestly what's really scary is putting off getting it checked.

3. KaraBulut

The majority of these abnormal looking moles fall into the category of "dyplastic" meaning that they aren't cancer but they are abnormal skin cells that may continue on to become cancerous. As such, we recommend that a dermatologist exam it, determine whether it needs to be removed.