1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anxiety!

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by SkyDiver, Jul 3, 2012.

1. SkyDiver

I am an extremely nervous and anxious person, especially about the smallest of things that shouldn't matter. It takes over my life.

What are some ways that I can cope with my stress?

2. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are many ways you can do that. It just depends on where you are at the moment, what you can and can not do. Like for example, it helps to shout it out, but this isn't possible in a working environment, unless you go to the parking lot. You get these kinds of stress ball things, they help as well, and an be carried in your pocket to where ever you go. It's discreet, and feels comfortable to squeeze it.

What also helps, if you take regular breaks for about a few minutes each. Then walk out of the working environment to a place where you feel relaxing close to your work or home. Drink a cup of coffee or better yet, some nice camo tea. That always help relax people. Take you mind of the stressful situation and think about something completely stress free. When you return to your desk, you find the answers you seek (if it was a problem that gave you stress) and most of the times, things seems less stressful to do.

The thing is there are many ways to relieve stress, another one (OK this might not go to well with the Admin) but drink Marijuana tea. Take the leaves, mix it with regular tea (my fav. is the honey and lemon tea, then make it as you want, add sugar and/or milk to taste and drink that. Marijuana taken in a tea form is a great natural relaxative

3. Mercuree

I find keeping the realisation that we always make a big fuss of nothing, in our minds, only to find that it didn't turn out even half as bad as expected helps.
    Also, envisioning the worst possible outcome of the stressor and evaluating it's ultimate affect on our life helps too (i.e. is it even worth stressing about, how will it affect you today - how will you remember it 5 years from now).
    Also, if a situation or aspect of the stress is out of our control, is there any point in stressing about it? What will stressing help?
    I know this doesn't really solve your problem, but just think of the above things, and other questions that might provide clarity.
    I don't think that medication is a good idea unless one is like OCD or something, and even then alot of issues can be resolved psychologically rather than physiologically. I have the same problem, and no, I have not beaten it yet either.
    What would yo say are your most prevalent stressors?

*edit* When I say I have not beaten it, I mean that I have not obliterated it completely, but I find that I stress alot less now than I did before I worked on stressing less.. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 3rd Jul 2012 at 11:55 AM ----------

Thylvin, I agree on the tea there. There is actually a legal alternative (i think). At least it's legal here, that is Sceletium. It is alot milder than MJ but works really well for taking the edge off and is a mild euphoric.

#3 Mercuree, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  4. SkyDiver

Thanks guys. :slight_smile:

Thylvin.... I'm not sure marijuana tea is for me. :wink: But thanks for the suggestion.

Mercuree, you're totally right. I like the idea of thinking about how it will affect our lives. Because oftentimes... it doesn't. It's good to put things in perspective. And just to mention, I do have OCD. It's bad.

My most prevalent stressors? Let's see....

-Work. Worrying about being at the front of the store alone (I'm a cashier). I'm terrified of long lines of people. I can't work well under pressure.
    -Disappointing others. Sometimes people will ask me to do things that I don't necessarily want to do but I'll say yes anyways.. becaues I don't want to disappoint them. So I worry about what will happen if I tell them that I don't want to do it.
    -Social gatherings. It sounds stupid, but I don't like being around large groups of people. That really stresses me out, and I always worry about it beforehand. (like, weeks before).
    -Reading homophobic comments online. I guess this is an easy one... just stop reading comments. XD
    -Worrying about the future, and whether I'll have money or not.. stuff like that.

What are yours?

5. psycoticOnI

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In juinor high I had much of the same problem, I was just overly anxious and social contact was just so hard for me, but I am a senior now and I have to say that what has helped the most is the knowledge that people have much of the Same worries as me when it comes to appearances and such. Almost so much that they forget to look at my flaws because they are overly conscience.

6. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

I have the same problem as well, the best thing that has worked for me is I just tell myself "Who cares?" Just try to ask yourself, will this affect someone or will they remember this tomorrow?

7. Mercuree

SkyDiver, are you on meds for the OCD, have you consulted a doctor (maybe the compulsive worrying is a byproduct?)? Check out sceletium at your local health shop. I dunno if it would help in your case but a frined of mine benefited greatly from it. I know what you mean about the issue of disappointing others, just try and remember that you dont ALWAYS have to say yes, and if it is not a big thing they are asking (to them) then surely they could ask someone else? Good luck! :slight_smile:

8. RebelD

Hey skydiver! I use to be really anxious about almost everything. If I could find something stressful, I did. There are a few techniques that can lower anxiety, but in the end it is best to consult a psychologist, they know best.

You can try controlled breathing, for example breathing in for 5 seconds, hold for 5 and breathe out for 5. When you are stressed the message that goes through your body is that you don't have control, but doing this you show that you do have control and your body relaxes. You can also try muscle control by making certain muscles tense and then relaxing them. Regular exercise is also important.

Good luck!

O and with the breathing, in through the nose, out through the mouth. No idea why, but that's what I was taught. :icon_wink

#8 RebelD, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  9. SkyDiver

Mercuree - I am not on meds for OCD, and I haven't consulted a doctor. Do you think this would be a wise idea?

RebelD - Thanks for that :slight_smile: But another odd, stupid fact about me that makes it annoying to do that... one of my nostrils (it varies) is always plugged at all times. :bang: It might just the weird way my nose is shaped... but that's how it is. :lol: