1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm a little worried about my eardrum.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Jeimuzu, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Jeimuzu

Every time I grit my jaw, I hear a hissing noise in my right ear. Nothing in the left ear, otherwise I'd have not noticed anything special; it's the lack of balance which makes me worry that it's damage to one ear alone.

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well luckily ear drums can usually be fixed. You should probably go have it checked out.

3. Hollywood

agreed.

4. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

The noise you are describing sounds similar to an ailment i had not long ago. I had a build-up of earwax that kind of "clogged" the passage to my eardrum. I recommend you go to the doctor and get it flushed out.

Usually they just gush water into your ear at a high speed (it feels really weird) and it just falls out.

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I have to get my ears "syringed", which is exactly what Proud described, about every 2 years. Normally I notice that my hearing becomes more muffled, often in my left ear first, then it's time to start using the wax softening drops and make the doctor's appointment (at our doctor's surgery it is the nurse who does this).

If you aren't noticing any hearing problems it may not be a wax build-up. In any event a visit to the doctor will sort out what it is, and if it is just wax they should be able to flush it out while you're there.

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    You could also try ear candles that are available at your health food store. They work great for cleaning the wax out of your ears. Just make sure you follow directions and get somebody to help you.

7. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Am i the only one slightly frightened by the combination of those words.

8. Jeimuzu

No hearing problems in particular. :-/ Oh dear.

9. Ty

Ty Guest

That phrase does worry me a bit >.>

10. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

No, it sounds worrying to me too. I don't know what they are through. Perhaps someone can give us some more info?

11. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Probably not wax then.

Do you have or have you recently had a cold or flu? If so it could be the result of this (the tubes from behind your ears to your throat blocked or infected) and should clear up on its own within a week or so.

If you have had it for a few days or more with no signs of improvement then a visit to the doc would be a good idea.

12. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha that does sound dangerous but if it works...

13. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd visit your doctor. You might have an ear infection or something.

Ear candles are, to be frank, a dangerous ruse. Basically it's a tapered hollowed out candle and you stick in the end OPPOSITE the flame in your ear and it's supposed to blow smoke in that softens earwax and somehow it's supposed to generate a vacuum that pulls out wax. Then you're encouraged to cut open the candle to see all the earwax that it pulled out.

The problem is what you see in the candle, although it looks like ear wax, is just residue from the candle, and if the candle is burnt outside of an ear, the same residue occurs.

But it's not just that it doesn't work. It is downright dangerous. There are many reported cases of candle wax dripping onto the ear drum causing serious and in some cases permanent damage.

There are basically two methods of ear wax removal a doctor will use. One is through the flushing of water, and the other is mechanical removal using tools called Curettes. Curettes introduce the risk of accidental ear drum puncture, so the safest method is through flushing warm water at a safe (low) pressure which is why so many people mention it. Although doctors may not consider it a DIY project, it is possible to syringe out your ears yourself, though you need to know what you're doing or you could damage your eardrums.

Oh and don't use Q-tips or pentips to try and clean inside your ear (don't stick anything in smaller than your elbow). Ears are supposed to be self-cleaning where normal daily movements will bring out old wax. In addition to the risk of puncturing your ear drum, usually you end up pushing wax in deeper, where it will build up and have to be removed using one of the methods mentioned above. Some ear wax is required and normal. Ear wax functions to capture dirt and dust in the air to keep your ear drums safe, and a thin coating protects the skin in your ear.

Here's some links:
    http://altmed.creighton.edu/ear/experiment.htm
    http://www.rcsullivan.com/www/forum/harris/candle.htm
    http://www.audiologyonline.com/articles/article_detail.asp?article_id=1501

14. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

I would go to an ENT (Ear, Nose and Throat) doc and have that ear checked out. The hissing could be from a build up of wax, but there are conditions that cause rupture of the ear drum and allow for air to escape from the inner ear when swallowing or clinging the jaw. There is a tube that goes from the back of the nose to the middle ear (eustachian tube ) that relieves pressure and fluid build up. With the associated dizziness, there could be an inflammation of the organ of Corti (hearing and balance).

All this said, yes it could be ear wax pushed up against the ear drum. One of the big reasons for that happening is use of Q tips. Adage - nothing smaller than your elbow goes into the ear. Flushing is the best way to remove the wax. I don't know about the ear candles, but I don't think I would use them. In the US, the makers of Murine (eye drops) have a kit out for ear wax removal.

But since you seem to have more than one problem, it would be best to have it checked out first before flushing, etc. If you have a ruptured ear drum, flush will cause you a great deal more problems.

15. Jeimuzu

Ooh, I've been getting over a bad cold, that'll probably explain it. Never had it happen before, mind.

16. panda

www.quackwatch.com

Scroll down to ear candling.It's not recommended.

17. Alexander

It might just be the muscle strain that you're hearing - a little silvery noise is just fine, nothing wrong unless you notice a lack of hearing.