1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bra rubbing on skin

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by GlindaRose, Jul 5, 2012.

1. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I often find after I take off my bra that my skin feels a bit tender and itchy where the straps were. I don't think it's any kind of infection because I don't have a rash or any other symptoms, just that the skin on my back and shoulders feels a bit sensitive and can get a bit grainy. I am certain that I am wearing the correct bra size as I've been fitted a few times and the result has been consistent. Does anyone have any suggestions to get rid of the itchiness? It's not a bad problem, just a bit annoying that I keep wanting to scratch my back for an hour or two after taking my bra off.

Thanks!

2. PerfectCalamity

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Have you tried an itching cream or Vaseline?

3. rabbit1

rabbit1 Guest

probably the material of the bra, use a softener

4. KaraBulut

Men have the same issue with elastic waistbands on underwear. There's several things that can cause it.

The first thing we ask is whether there's a rash. If there is, then that points to heat rash or a dermatitis. Other possibilities are an allergy (laundry detergents or sensitivity to elastic fabrics) or issues with the friction of the elastic brushing up against the skin (from the strap being too tight or from movement of the garment itself).

Since you've indicated that you don't have a rash and that you've had the bras fitted (which is a big issue with women), then there are two other possibilities you might consider-
    1. Sensitivity to the fabrics- Some of the elastics in clothing are latex-based. We're finding that more and more people are developing sensitivity to latex. This can take the form of rashes that form under latex bandaids, sneezing or rashes after being exposed to latex gloves and rashes around elastic waistbands, bra back strap elastic or elastic bra straps.
    2. Friction- many women who have issues with discomfort around the straps and support seams in bras find that sports bra provides some relief. Using powder under the strap sometimes helps reduce some of the friction between the strap and the skin. Also, bras that have adjustable straps can help reduce some of the pressure on the shoulder.

#4 KaraBulut, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  5. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the replies! I will try out the suggestions on here. KaraBulut - what kind of powder are you referring to? And I'll try adjusting the straps and loosening the back bit.

6. KaraBulut

There are some body powders that are available with the body washes in the cosmetics or facial care section of stores.

One powder that a lot of people find helpful is cornstarch. If you go over to the baby section at the store and check the baby powder, you'll see that baby powder comes in two different versions- one that is talc and another that is cornstarch. The cornstarch version is the one that I usually recommend. Some stores carry a travel size that is about 3 inches tall and fits nicely into a backpack or purse.

7. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks! I'll look out for it. :slight_smile:

8. Chickzak

Talcum powder is awesome for any itching or rubbing problems I have. Try that, should definitely workx

9. Carm

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    LOL - Or just don't wear one!! You can use those little stick-on cups or a tight cami or sports bra. It's healthier anyway. :slight_smile:

10. Pippa

Pippa Guest

I have the same problem.... it's hot right now and it's probably a fungal infection. Try Lotrimin, or if you like the more natural cure, try colloidal silver, that should clear it up.... good luck!!!