1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Testosterone questions and concerns?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by MusicIsLife, Jul 8, 2012.

1. MusicIsLife

Hey guys,

So Ive been researching taking T for a while, but I keep coming across sites that say really extreme things like, "Taking T will make you rape women," and "Taking T will make you want to have anal sex" and really strange things like that. Is there any truth to these claims, or are these simply transphobic sites trying to steer transmen away from taking hormones?

2. Aielar

Well...taking testerone may give you a higher sex drive, but the choice to sexually assault someone, or to have anal sex, is a personal one. Hormones cannot make you do something. At this point, it might be a good idea to ask a medical professional - preferably one that has experience in this area - these questions to get a more reliable perspective. Things that are posted on the internet should be taken with a grain of salt, after all :slight_smile:

3. Yeah, don't listen to sites like that, because they're definitely transphobic. I was on T for seven months, and not once did I have an urge to rape women. You might have some changes though. In regards to the "Taking T will make you want to have anal sex" thing, I have heard a lot of trans guys who became interested in people who they previously wouldn't have been attracted to. That is probably because hormones made them feel more comfortable in their body/lessened their dysphoria, which allowed them to explore their sexuality further. As Aielar said, T should give you a higher sex drive; within a month of starting, I was masturbating every day, sometimes even up to three times. So, there's a good chance you will be constantly horny (you may not, everyone is different), but unless you're the type of person who would have committed sexual assault before hormones, you're not going to suddenly turn into a rapist.

Overall, I felt awesome on T. None of that 'roid rage or stuff like that. In fact, I had a great sense of tranquility.

4. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Believe it or not, most men have testosterone running through them all the time ^,^ You won't get any urge to rape women or anything dumb like that. The most noticeable affect on your mentality will be the feeling of power I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hormone_replacement_therapy_(female-to-male)

When looking up hormone replacement therapy you want to add keywords like transgender and female to male.

I'm a bit sketchy with this side of the transgender population but that link is a good place to start ^,^

5. KaraBulut

I have a coworker (born female) who recently started taking testosterone injections under physician's supervision as part of her transition.

From the discussions that we've had, it sounds very much like typical male puberty responses- both good and bad. A definite increase in libido, acne and moodiness accompanied by a flushed feeling for a couple days after the injection. But there has also been also a change in personality toward less shyness and more assertive, confident behavior in social situations.

The comments that you read on websites about the effects of testosterone are ill-informed. What we find is that excessive doses of androgens- on the order of abuse level by athletes and bodybuilders- are responsible for behavioral changes. Contrary to popular belief, when testosterone is administered in appropriate dosages to males with low testosterone, the are calmer and less prone to aggression, depression and emotional ups-and-downs.

6. KadenMichael

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, Testosterone is not going to make you rape women or have anal sex. I mean, if you want to have anal sex, that's cool. But it's not the Testosterone making you do it. Many guys do open up in terms of their attractions to people, but I also know many who maintain their sexuality throughout transition. No worries on that front.

Kaden Michael

7. MusicIsLife

Thanks everyone for their responses :slight_smile: As of now I'm looking for a gender therapist and on the waiting list for T at the local LGBT YA clinic. I'm excited and nervous and all of the things.

8. seeksanctuary

I've been on T since 2008. I'm more than happy to answer any questions you have. :slight_smile: But in regards to this thread... lol, no, T doesn't make you rape people.