1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anti-Depressant Medicine...

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by secretguyX, Jul 8, 2012.

1. secretguyX

My doctor put me on elavil (amitriptyline) over a year ago for chronic headaches (it helped for that and my insomnia, probably bipolar disorder, and former depression, which my doctor doesn't know about), and I was taking it when I was supposed to. But probably a few months ago, I stopped taking it. I know that I shouldn't of, because you're supposed to be "weened" off of it. My family and doctor still think I'm taking it though. I was only taking one, so it wasn't that much of a big deal (in my opinion), and I'm still supposed to be taking one. But I think I should start taking it again, so: 1) I don't get in trouble for not taking it. 2) I'm starting to go back to having some of those problems again. Should I just start taking one a day like I'm prescribed to again? I know it's a dangerous drug, so that's why I'm a bit worried.

2. KaraBulut

With drugs like these, it's better to tell the truth about whether you've been taking them. These drugs can interact with other medications, so it's important for them to know what you're taking.

If you stopped taking them quite a while ago and haven't seen the symptoms of your headaches or the depression, you doctor may want to know this because it is possible that the medication wasn't working as effectively for you as everyone thought it had. That may prompt the doctor to try a new drug or restart the drug to see if it actually is addressing your symptoms.

In short, it's always better to be honest on questions about your health.