1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quiting Smoking and health

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Pauline, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Pauline

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For the past two years I've been smoking and now trying to quit again for the 500th time it seems like every time i quit i start a year or so down the road with no end in site i want this to be the last time i stop forever any ideas?

2. TrueBlue8228

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey PaulV,

I'm proud to say that I haven't had a cigarette in over 2 years now and I feel your pain on hard it is to do. It wasn't easy for me, but I quit cold turkey. I would remember that I would always have a smoke after eating a meal, when ever I got into my car (regardless of the amount of time it took to travel from one place to another) and if I was hanging with friends, everytime they lit a cig, I was lighting one up too. Ultimately I decided I was going to quit and what helped me was Trident Chewing gum.

I had certain flavors I chewed for certain situations. (Ex. Mint-AfterMeals, Bubblegum-Hangingoutwithsmokingfriends, ect, ect)

Really what you have to do is find something in replace of a cig that will satisfy your urges to have a smoke.

Not sure if this really helps, but I hope it can for you!!

TB

3. Zapha

I think that fact that you want to quit is great - and I think you'll find that most people have multiple attempts/many attempts at quiting smoking, so don't be disheartened. Each time you're not successful try to understand what perhaps might have been the reasoning, was it a trigger that you could avoid perhaps? (i.e. avoid being around other smokers in a bar etc. etc.) So I think maybe the first step would be to really reflect on what went wrong, and then reflect on how you think you could avoid or remedy such situations in the future.

What have you tried in the past? Do you usually go cold turkey, or have you tried NRT (nicotine replacement therapy - e.g. nicotine patches)? NRT could perhaps be an option if you have trouble going cold turkey (e.g. if you go cold turkey, but if you begin smoking again in a few weeks).

In the end I think you need to find what works best for you, and I guess try to identify where you're going wrong. I've had people who preferred and where successful going cold-turkey, I've had people who have had to use NRT, and other people who have had to use prescription medications.

4. ameliawesome

i find that not carrying cigarettes around with me helps, even though i still feel like i want one often. i've been visiting a lot of new places, mostly parks, and walking a lot and generally going out more to places i have either never been or haven't fully explored. so i have sort of replaced cigarettes with adventure, haha. however, the friends i go out with still smoke a lot so it doesn't work for everyone. and i do slip back once in a while but that's better than constantly smoking.