1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hyperhydrosis?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Aielar, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Aielar

I'm pretty sure (99%) certain that I have it because my hands almost never stop sweating :/ Anyways, anyone else here have it, or know anyone who has it? I'm looking for ways to make my hands stop sweating, because let's be honest it gets in the way of social activities from time to time. It would be nice to be able to hold someone's hand without feeling like a freak or worrying about their reaction to what I believe to be an unpleasant sensation. I know there's a prescription available - not sure what it's called - but I'm trying to avoid that route because I'm figuring it probably costs a bit.

2. Mohawke13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey!

I'm pretty sure (about 99% as well) that I have this condition too. It sounds like it isn't a big deal, but it can be ridiculously embarrassing. My hands sweat like crazy like yours do, but mine is also sever enough so that it effects my feet and armpits too. I can't tell you the number of times I've created literal pools of sweat stains within an hour or so of being in an un-air conditioned area...even after having applied antiperspirants...

I've done a lot of reading and research about hyperhidrosis. From all the resources I've read, it seems that there are only 3 truly effective options for this problem. The first involves surgery, which I think is best used as a last resort. The second involves using medications. There are drugs like oxybutynin and Robinul that reduce the effects of hyperhidrosis but they have side effects. If you're thinking of going that route, I'd talk to your doctor first.

The last option involves non-surgial methods that seem to have a lot of promise. For one there's miraDry, which uses microwaves to stop your sweat glands from making sweat...it sounds like a weird process and I'm not sure of how safe it is, so I'd talk to my doctor about that too...but they say that this process lasts a good while. Another non-surgial method is actually botox injections, believe it or not. So weigh out your options, see which one you think will work best for you and try to learn a bit more about it before you through with it. I haven't figured out myself just yet what I want to do...but I hope my information helps! Good luck :slight_smile:

3. Night Rain

My dad and I both have this, well, he used to anyway. He had some surgery done and he's now very happy with his non-sweaty hands. The surgery costs relatively low here, quite reasonable in my opinion.

4. 55

I have this too and had the surgery to correct it. I suffered sweaty palms and pits for years and years. I dreaded the possibility of having to shake hands so much that it made it worse.

I had the surgery 6 years ago. The doctor told me a possible outcome for older men (I was 50) was new sweating in areas below the vertebre where the nerves were removed. He said the chances were small, but I needed to be aware of them. I was so desparate for relief from the curse that I went ahead and had the surgery. Unfortunately, now, under the right conditions (high humidity, high temps, high stress) I sweat from my nipple line down, front and back! I traded sweat on about 5% of my body to 80%! It's not as bad now as it was at first, but I still have to consider every clothing purchase carefully because of potential sweat-showing. What a pain!

It doesn't sound like you're considering the surgery right now and if you're young it would probably work out great for you if you did.

I wish I had given the topical drysol more of a chance to do its job over an extended period of time. I just didn't have the patience. I wanted it fixed - over - done with. :eusa_doh:

Good luck to you. I hope you get a great solution to the problem because I know how awful it can be.

5. Mercuree

I have the same problem with my feet. They say soaking in hot black tea helps as it is antibacterial and the tannins help close the pores, preventing it somewhat. I havent tried this myself though. Found bicarb in the socks worked really well too.

6. Aielar

I am guessing Marshall wants the comment deleted? Idk.

---------- Post added 12th Jul 2012 at 09:01 PM ----------

Thanks for the feedback everyone who responded :slight_smile: I'm probably going to research the surgery and get a doctor's appt with my doctor to discuss options and such. I'd rather just get the surgery and never have to worry about excessively sweaty hands ever again, but I'll make a final decision after research and speaking with a medical professional :slight_smile:

7. INTJ

Out Status:
    Some people
    Have you heard of iontophoresis? It's basically mild electroshock therapy on your hands and reduces the severity of sweating.

8. Aielar

I have not heard of that, but thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely look into it :slight_smile:

9. 55

Make sure you go to a couple places for the surgical consultation. One surgery removes a section of nerves. This is the one I had. When I went to Mayo Clinic to try to get help with my new problems, they told me about another version where the nerves are just severed but not removed. They made me think my results would have been better with their option. Of course maybe after 6 years there have been advancements in the surgery.

Good luck!