1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conversations with myself

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by INTJ, Jul 12, 2012.

1. INTJ

Out Status:
    Some people
    I've never really noticed this before, but I am constantly having conversations with myself to the point that I have conversations to myself about conversations to myself. Now that I have realised this, I now reflect that the reason why I am so good at problem solving is because I ask myself the right questions in order to get the solution - despite it never being obvious to me.

However the weird thing was last night I was extremely depressed over something and what helped me overcome this was my own thoughts. Some part of my mind spoke (using my voice) and actually comforted me.

It is this incident that made me question whether or not I am crazy. I'm now just realizing there are really 2 parts to me - the rational side and the sociable side. The sociable one is the one that talks to others and communicates and the rational side of me is the one who looks at things and helps me solve problems and even comforts me when I am stressed.

Is this normal? Do you have experiences similar to this? I don't feel crazy but the fact that I m now noticing 2 very different aspects of myself that carry out conversations within my own head is kinda freaking me out (the sociable side of me, that is, the rational side of me is saying I'm being stupid ugh!)

Help D:

2. we arent drs but i wouldnt say you were 'crazy'. everyone talks to thereself if they admit to it or not (well most anyway lol).

if it was some diagnosis of something im sure (cant be certain though) it wouldnt be in your own voice, it would be in a different voice that you hear things. (ive seen a lot of mental health cases)

basically you arent crazy. :slight_smile:

3. Mercuree

I do that too! I think its more a case of being able to allow ones subconscious to take control, and sort shit out, than being crazy..

4. Ben

Ben

I've had disagreements with myself many times before. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: It's pretty normal to speak to yourself, so I wouldn't say that it's anything to worry about, unless it becomes something that impacts negatively on your life.

5. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

No youre not crazy for talking to yourself. I've caught myself doing that a lot too. It's kinda like thinking out loud, and sometimes it can be kinda fun if you're alone. To be honest it makes me feel a lot better about a stressful situation.

6. INTJ

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the closure guys. Nice to know I'm not weirder than I already am. lol.

When I think about it some more, it's actually quite comforting and beneficial to have conversations with yourself. It's nice knowing that my mind has always been there during exams and during waiting rooms so I don't get bored.

I'm actually very interested in this now. Might do some research on it (!)

7. TrueBlue8228

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Nope, your not the only person to have a conversation with themselves.

I do it all the time...sometimes so much that I feel like I'm going insane! lol

Sometimes tho it gets the best of me and I over analyze things and it gets nasty, but I think its pretty normal.

TB

8. xramonx

LoL Ain't it proven that ppl who does that tend to be smarter? Cause they avoid many problems just by doing it!

I do that alot, but I get to the awkward point of it, like I started to smile with no reason, or I make hand expressions sometimes, and sometimes I even move my mouth lol While im talking to myself, specially when I'm walking alone or riding a bike on streets lol, and I start to laugh because of what I was doing in front of people xD

9. Aldrick

If that makes you crazy, then I'm ten times worse than you. :lol:

I do it all the time for the exact same reason. It helps me solve and deal with problems.

I've had imaginary conversations with people in my head, saying things that I needed to get off my chest, or just planning what I am going to say when I actually speak to them (so I can imagine their reactions).

I also envision myself sometimes speaking to an invisible therapist, just when I need to unburden myself emotionally. When I do that answers to my problems start to come to me - it's basically a way for me to "talk it out" with myself.

I couldn't imagine living without this ability, my quality of life would diminish greatly. I'd have virtually zero ability to solve any complex problem. It's an ability that lets me get a really deep understanding of issues and problems, and ultimately come to the solutions necessary to fix them.

I never do it in front of others, it's the reason I do my best thinking alone.

10. Gallatin

Whenever I have a big problem, I always have discussions with myself. Half the time I end up arguing with myself over what to do! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. Chickzak

As others have said, I'm sure its fine. I talk to myself all the time and have thoughts and talk out loud.. sometimes.

:lol:

12. seeksanctuary

Honestly, depends on the voice you're hearing.

Hearing voices, studies have show, is actually quite common and often normal. If they are mean voices, or voices that seem to come from "outside" you, that is troublesome... but if they are ordinary voice, or voices that seem to come from "inside", that is less troubling. Generally, as long as they remain civil and don't instruct you to hurt yourself or other people, then you're good!

But I will say, as someone who is dissociative, sometimes voices like that can be signs that you're not as alone in your head as you thought.

MPD/DID FAQ, DID/MPD Answers, Multiple Personality Controversy, DID/MPD Facts, Dissociative Identity Disorder Myths, United States of Tara, Otherkin, Controversy, Information

So, take it as you will. It's happening, and if it's not bothering you, then roll with it.

13. Gen

Gen

Everyone talks to themselves. The only difference is whether they do it vocally on mentally. Most try to only do it mentally, so people who think they are crazy. But I'm a vocal person ^_^. And I seriously talk to myself. Like yesterday...........>_>. (lol I'll use Me, Me 1, and Me 2 to show you what really went on in my head.)

I was about to enter a building and there were two glass doors. I tried to open one of them for alteast full minute.(Like I was looking around for help because I could clearly see people walking around inside.) Then another gentleman just walks by me and goes straight through the door directly next to mine. Irritated, I said(to myself)

Me:"Well there should be a sign that says to use the other door >:C"
    *Looks around and notices a rather large sign next to the doors saying "please use other door"*
    Me 1: " Dumbass >_>"
    Me: "Wow thats rude. Anyone could have missed that small sign!!"
    Me 2: "Exactly. They could of made the sign bigger. Hes just an ass sometimes."
    Me: "Thank you."

It eventually did dawn on me that I was not only having a full conversation with myself, but also insulting myself, then talking about how mean I am.............for insulting myself........

Dont judge me >_>

14. SunSparks

Haha, I do that too! In fact, I have even named my two different sides that talk to each other. sometimes, I ask myself, what in the world am I doing talking to myself, but as long as I realize that I am doing it and can make some logical sense in what I say, I dont think I am crazy - just like I don't think you are crazy. Nevertheless, I do have those few times in which I have absolutely no idea what I am doing, saying, or even why I am laughing... That I think might be a problem for me xD

15. IllusiveRannoch

na, it isnt crazy one bit, unless those calibrations are taking a toll :lol:. i often times find myself doing self conversations Sherlock Holmes style when it's just me in my room, imagining myself to be dialoging with Watson. it's fun, but my mind usually does the talking. nice avatar btw.

#15 IllusiveRannoch, Jul 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  16. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok, not only do I frequently have conversations with myself, but I also think very loudly, sometimes to the point where I almost say what I'm thinking of out loud and have to physically stop myself. Especially in places where we're required to be silent, such as at concerts etc. when I start thinking about whatever piece is being played and have to bite my tongue so that I don't end up having this random outburst during the performance! Haha!

17. Aquilo

I'm having conversations with myselves (or sometimes imagining conversations with others) all the time.

Also when I'm not having conversations with myselves, I'm often daydreaming. I wouldn't worry too much about it/

18. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I definitely talk talk to myself, all the time, talk myself into things, reason with myself, feel sorry and sympathize with myself - never out loud, but my head is a constant conversation.

There is nothing whatever crazy about talking to yourself and it's BRILLIANT that you can talk yourself out of the blues - treasure that ability!

19. Sayu

I'm often having conversations with myself :grin: I even got the other speaker a name and he's become something like my soulmate :slight_smile: But what is even weirder to me, I often pretend to have a conversations with different people (that I actually know) and I talk to them in English (my native language is NOT English) thought they are not English-speaking people! :grin: But I like it, it's fun and it improves my speaking skills :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

20. lilbitlost

Hehehehe i do this too! I get a lot of strange looks for wandering about grinning/scowling etc :roflmao:
    However it helps no ive got my lil boy, cos now i direct my muttering like im talking to him instead! Take that random passerby im not crazy just chatting with my kid! :lol: