1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weighing nearly 200lbs but I don't look it?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by MusicIsLife, Jul 25, 2012.

1. MusicIsLife

Hey all,

I was just wondering if someone could answer my question: I'm 5'6", and I am currently 190lbs, but I don't exactly look it. I'd say I look around 160-170 at the most, but I've been exercising 3-5 times per week, biking 11k each time.

The thing is, I can't figure out how I weigh so much and don't look it. And this isn't a new thing for me. I've always been heavier than I look. Can someone explain where all the fat is?

ps. I AM trying to slim down, shrinking my portion sizes and stuff like that.

2. Lad123

Muscle weighs more than fat so maybe you have more muscle than you realise and its just covered below the fat?

Also I think we can have a distorted vision of ourselves when we look in the mirror. For instance, an anorexic thinks he or she is fat even though its clearly not the case. I'm not saying you are deluded lol xD but its just a possibility.

3. prism

Muscle weighs sooo much more than fat. While you "slim down," make sure you're on a diet that burns fat AND feeds your muscles. Foods low in fat content, but high in protein. Lose weight without losing muscle mass! Good luck!

4. ameliawesome

just more proof that numbers don't really matter :slight_smile: i used to weigh around 200 at 5'7" and no one ever believed me. i believe the reason is that i am/have always been proportionate. i never had an enormous chest or enormous tummy or enormous butt, i was proportionately thick all over. are you built that way?

5. ANightDude

Like others have said, with the workouts you're doing, you're simply gaining a lot of muscle. Muscle is pretty heavy. It might be a "big number", but it's completely fine if its muscle. Nothing to worry about. :slight_smile: