1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SATs and Test Phobia

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by RemyLeBeau, Jul 26, 2012.

1. RemyLeBeau

RemyLeBeau Guest

I am terrified of tests to the point that studying for the SAT has me shaking so hard that it's taking me a long time to type all of this. I am feeling nauseous, a terrible headache, almost like just killing myself now so I don't even have to take the test (but I won't because that would be incredibly selfish and cowardly), and I want to burst into tears and hide under my bed until civilization crashes and the test goes away with it. I hate them so much and I'm really scared.

It's probably no help that my homophobic step dad is probably about to lose it downstairs as my autistic brother screams and screams because HE'S AUTISTIC AND FIVE AND IT'S BEDTIME but that's OUR fault, and now he's threatening to beat him but mom will stop him and oh jesus I can't study for this stupid thing right now just fuck it I'll watch this movie instead.

Anyway, I nneed to get over this fear because they'll think I'm really stupid if I have to retack my test and I don't like poeple calling me stupid. And I'm NOT stupid, honest, I just suck at taking tests. It's like all my cvommon sense fleis away and I'm staring at the paper liek, "what the fuck languauge is THIs? Certainyl not English!"

Did anyone else have test ansiety really bad? How do you get over it?

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I never took the SAT, but I took the ACT. I took the ACT twice (because I am scared of tests too..). The good thing about these tests is that the testing sites have many people from many different schools, so most people will probably not know you. Also, usually it's a good thing to take the tests twice. This is because the second time you are less nervous because you know what to expect.

When I take tests, I usually chew some mint gum. It helps me think because it allows me to focus on something else. Also, don't try to cram the info into your head, just study in bursts. If you try to study things too much, you will make your anxiety worse.

Also, I know these are timed tests, but if you feel yourself getting really nervous, try closing your eyes and taking deep breaths. I have found that that helps me a lot.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with your stepfather.. I hope that things get better for you.

3. IllusiveRannoch

i know how that feels. it's strange, i do kind of ok on college homework since i have this link i can click to get help and how-to directions, but on quizzes & tests my mind sometimes goes blank and i can't remember a thing. some sections math isn't my best area, others are a breeze, but i try to improve. i might do one of those mental/iq improvement things later. but for some things like graphs, i stare at the test quietly saying, 'wtf is this?'. but i remember that one part of neurology is that everything i've ever seen is stored categorized somewhere in my brain. so i try if i can somehow, someway, to mentally project the process of how to do the problem from reading it a few days ago, i think i might just be ok. but if i can't remember at the moment, i'll usually skip over the problem and come back to it later hoping that i can remember by seeing the other problems while the process of the other problems pop in my head. but i try to keep a neutral attitude towards tests, as in 'if i pass, great, if not, oh well, i tried'. on my previous test, graphs hit hard, and ended up making a 49.1 on a pretty serious test. so i'm gonna have to repeat the class unless i make some huge comeback which i'm certainly gonna try my hardest.

4. prism

My parents had me in ACT/SAT prep classes starting in 6th grade. I have NEVER taken an ACT or SAT exam without vomiting during and after the test. Was I nervous? Of course, I felt like the rest of my life would be determined by a single number.

It has been proven that the standardized tests are NOT accurate academic indicators or measures of intelligence. There are specific cultural and societal implications that prevent some students from doing well.

I know that doesn't help you now, but honestly, it's just a test. Colleges look at your GPA and extracurriculars as well. I had low ACT/SAT scores, but now attend one of the best universities in the U.S.

Also, there's no shame in retaking the ACT or SAT. I've taken the practice exams at least a dozen times each, and the official test 3 times each. A LOT of students do this, and my score improved each time.

There are a lot of online resources that provide test taking tips, such as time management during the test, brain foods, what to bring, etc.
    You should go to your local library and check out test prep books to become familiar with the format of the tests. Do practice tests with a timer to make sure you don't spend too much time on one question.

Hope this helped!

5. RemyLeBeau

RemyLeBeau Guest

Thank you. I just hope I don't throw up this time...