1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i may or may not have done something silly?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Pseudojim, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was out at a thai restaurant with friends last night, and my curiosity got the better of me. I ate an orchid (i'm pretty sure it was an orchid) which was part of a garnish on one of our dishes. It tasted like lettuce, only slightly different. Pleasant, over all. I had no ill effects all night, but i slept poorly and i've had a dull headache all day. I don't usually get headaches at all, could these two things be connected? Could a flower served at a restaurant really be potentially problematic? It was directly touching food, but now i'm starting to wonder....

(i don't have any known allergies)

#1 Pseudojim, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  2. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't think you need to worry - as a general rule, things which are poisonous have a bad taste too or a bad smell.

I've never heard of anyone being poisoned by orchids - perhaps you were just "over-excited" by the event and slept badly, which gave you the headache.

I follow a routine, as do most of us. If I have an event in the evening and I get home late, it usually takes a couple of hours for me to unwind enough to think of sleeping. That invariably means I get less than my usual quota and I suffer the following work-day (if it's a weekend I can sleep in).

:icon_bigg

3. KaraBulut

Members of the orchid family are not poisonous. They are used in cooking in several countries. It's possible that you may have had an allergic reaction to the flower but any effect should be temporary.

4. Pain

Pain Guest

I had something like that in a Chinese restaurant around my place. I think that what I had was only an onion or some other common salad vegetable shaped like an orchid. If it's at all the same thing, the headache/problem was probably unrelated to eating it.