1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top 5 Mental Power You Have

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by squally89, Jul 31, 2012.

1. squally89

From my thread "Top 5 Things You Like About Your Body" I am starting this thread on the Top 5 Mental Power You Have/Working on.

It can be simply things from practical things (math, logic etc) to emotional power (empathy, connections etc). Basically things you can't see with your two eyes. I want to start this because I feel like we are quite often stuck on things we must "see" AKA "hard skills" and this ability of having to "showcase" our talent to the physical world. This is the opportunity for us to reflect back and "see" the things we do without actually "seeing".

Here's my top 5
    1.) Listening - I believe I have incredible listening skills. No matter how I feel about the person, opinion and feelings about something, I can always listen.
    2.) Intuition - I have the ability to know/predict/assume accurately about someone's past (usually parental relationship/family related issues) without them telling me or provided me with context that does not even relate to the subject matter.
    3.) The Ability to Stay Positive - Apparently this is hard for some people, and some people had told me its a gift.
    4.) Over think - I am analytical, and systematic, but in ways that can be too extreme
    5.) The Ability to Accept Shame - Shame is quite a loaded word, but what I really want to say is that I am working on it and will continuous work on knowing and accepting that I am not perfect and thank God I am not. Life seriously would NOT be fun if I was all perfect~ (Perhaps I should rephrase my ability to "The ability of self-awareness"

Just as much as we should thank our bodies for providing us life, we need to thank the internal aspects of ourselves as well.

#1 squally89, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  2. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i'm not going to make a list, but i can concentrate on any one thing for what seems to be an unlimited amount of time (i haven't tested the limit and wouldn't really care to), which is a useful power. Before my final physics exam i studied for 14 hours straight, THEN did the 3 hour exam. I got 97%.

I also have what people consider to be a freaky memory. It comes in handy.

3. squally89

I love your freaky memory thing! I have that too with what people have for lunch weeks ago and other trivial things like that haha~

4. Aldrick

Let's see...

1. Empathy - While most people have it, I think mine is stronger than others in general. For as long as I can remember I've always had the strong ability to feel other peoples emotions. This is sometimes a double-edged sword, and I'm working on honing it better. When someone is in pain; I feel their pain and I have the urge to comfort. However, when someone is angry and aggressive I also feel that, and tend to begin to mirror those emotions. Consequently, I do best when I'm surrounded by happy and positive people.

2. Intuition - This is likely a result of my empathic abilities, but I have a very strong sense of other people. I can sense when they're being honest, lying, when they want something, when they're trying to be manipulative, etc. I don't always follow my intuition; though I should because it's usually right. It extends beyond simple emotional reading of people; I notice body language as well.

3. Problem Solving - I am good at taking charge in emergencies, when I'm running 100% on intuition, such as car crashes, fires, etc. General stuff when people are in trouble or danger; I've always been quick to take charge of a situation and act swiftly. However, I think I really shine when I have time to sit back and think about something. I'm a deep thinker - I like to examine a situation and a problem from all sorts of angles, and ultimately I come to a reasonable or good conclusion. A major emotional boost for me is when I come up with a solution to a problem, and someone tells me that they never thought of it that way before - that provides me with immense satisfaction.

4. Humorous - It definitely doesn't come off here, but among my personal friends and family I'm very good at keeping people in good spirits. I love to make people laugh, and I'm pretty good at it. I tend to be more reserved among people I don't know as well; at least until I get a read on their type of humor. Not everyone can like my brand of humor, but I'm okay with that. I only share it with people who can appreciate it, and besides - I enjoy kicking back with people I like, shooting the shit, and laughing our asses off.

5. Approachable / Trusting - I notice that when people first start to get to know me a bit, they begin to gravitate toward me. They open up and trust me. I'm not sure if it's a weird vibe I give off or what, but I have a tendency to put people at ease which causes them to open up. I suppose it's a good thing that I am actually trustworthy and loyal; so maybe they're just intuitively sensing that. Either way, I don't generally have a hard time making new friends, falling into a new group, etc. Most people are pretty quick to embrace me. What normally stands in the way are my own insecurities (something else I'm working on).

5. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Social skills - The more I read about people who seem to lack this skills, for example because of some sort of social phobia, the more thankful I am that I do possess it. I've never had any problems making friends, and I find it really easy to approach people and start a conversation. I guess part of it is because I am not shy at all. But aside from that, keeping conversations going and making friends just seems to go naturally, without having to try hard. I think this is the "mental power" I'm most happy about.

Being laid-back - If you wanna get me mad, you gotta try reeeeally really hard. I just don't have a short temper at all. It's like mentally I completely distance myself from stressful situations. It's a really good mental power on the one hand, because people know they can pretty much always rely on me being calm and taking a lot of their shit; it can be a bad power because I keep a lot of things inside, and once they come out, it's like an explosion of rmotions (not just with anger, but with all kinds of emotions).

Intuition - I follow my intuition rather than logical reasoning. And I seem to make the right decisions doing that.

Optimism - However bad a situation may be, I always look forward and see that it will be better. I'm usually the one that has to convince others of that. I guess that's also part of me being laid-back.. I just don't let things get to me that easily. I like staying positive.

Empathy - I can care more about other people's feelings than my own. I hate seeing other people unhappy and will always -- regardless of how I feel -- try and make them feel better. I don't get influenced by other people's emotions, though, in that I take them over;
    maybe sympathy is a better word than empathy. It does allow me to look at things objectively, and a lot of my friends frequently come to me for advice.

6. Snowy

Snowy Guest

Logic/Smartness - I'm naturally really smart and logical, needless to say I was the smartest person in my grade before I moved just this summer. I still probably am, but I don't know. Like, without applying myself, I can easily get an A in all of my honors/AP classes, which, minus my languages, is all of them.

Memory - I have an amazing memory in anything school-related, to the point of me not having to study much, and when I do, it's only for about 10-15 minutes.

Intuition - I have, like, a fifth sense. I have ESPN. My breasts can always tell when it's going to rain. Well, they can tell when it's raining. Mean Girls reference aside, I can almost always tell how people are feeling at a certain time.

Virtuosity - I can pick up new instruments in a matter of time. Granted, the first one took me a while, but after that they just started to become much easier. The whole thought of a woodwind still kind of scares me a bit, though, having to memorize tons and tons of fingerings....

Humorous - It doesn't really show on here, but whatever. When I'm comfortable around people, and when I say comfortable, I mean having known them for a few months, I can often be kind of funny. Otherwise, if I'm around new people, I clam up and just keep to myself..

7. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Patient - I am very good at keeping my temper, at giving people second and even third
    chances, I accept to err is human. I lose my temper very infrequently, but
    when I do, it's spectacular! This doesn't stop me being angry, though - I am
    just slow to show it.

Generous - I will give freely of my time and attention. I like to spoil my partner and friends
    and I will go to great lengths to make sure they're happy and comfortable.

Reliable - I cope well in difficult situations and, like Aldrick above, I can let instinct take
    over and do the right thing without stressing too much or panicking. I think this
    "confidence" helps others as they tend to trust me.

Lateral Thinker - I always look for alternatives to the most obvious approach so I am
    quite creative in dealing with things, rather than artistic. Some of my
    solutions to problems are off the wall, but it adds sparkle to a situation!

Intuitive - I am very quick and hardly ever wrong in appraising someone - whether they
    are genuine or trustworthy, whether we will become friends, whether goodness
    lies at their core. I used to think that this was me being judgemental, but, as I
    said, I have rarely been wrong. It saves me a lot of time!

8. Cloudbreaker

Fun! Let me try!

Imagination - This is practically a superpower (that everyone has the potential to utilize). It has no limit! NO. LIMIT. Literally anything I can imagine can happen here. Where else can I find a saltine cracker octopus cloudsurfing while operating an oversized chainsaw made of ice? And that's not even scratching the surface. My mind can come up with things that can't even be put into words. IT. IS. AWESOME. Try it.

Understanding -
    • how people think - I can't read their thoughts, mind you. It's more like knowing the difference between what someone says and what they mean. Or if I am trying to teach something to someone, I can usually figure out how they will be able to learn it, or what questions they have before they even figured out what exactly they want to ask. This is a useful skill for clarifying things I have explained poorly, or figuring out what someone meant if they were the one who explained something poorly.
    • information - I can not express strongly enough how much more useful it is to understand a fact rather than to simply know a fact. Sure, 2+2=4, but why?

Empathy - This seems to be a common skill around here, which doesn't surprise me one bit, considering the community. Like others, I can usually tell how someone is feeling, even if I don't know why.

Unassuming Logic - I have a mind that is always trying to find the correct answer, without ever assuming it has found it. Even the most basic facts that are obviously true (such as "reality exists") are not safe. While yes, I do believe reality exists, I am always open to the possibility that I'm wrong. While this may not sound like much of an ability, it is extremely useful for weeding out the most likely truths to a question. By this I mean that most questions have many answers which fit, but by not assuming any of them are the correct answer, then it is easier to figure out which answer is actually the true one. Make sense? Probably not.

Indifference - While not an ability I am particularly proud of, it is still there. While I wish and hope for the best (for others as well as myself), it doesn't usually bother me if the best never comes. It is certainly useful in some instances. I am rarely offended and rarely feel discouraged about what life has given me. However, in other instances it makes me feel completely heartless. Like for Empathy, if I see someone is unhappy, I might not care enough to ask what is wrong. But ironically, my indifference makes me indifferent to changing my indifference. Oh well. *facepalm*

9. SunSparks

I am jealous! I hate you! So jealous! :lol: Seriously, I have concentration power equivalent to a gold fish's. I couldn't even bother to student for my AP test... I just kinda sat there are kept repeating to myself, I need to study, I need to study. I might have studied 2 hours per test out of some 10 I probably sat there... but I still got my scores that I wanted xD

Anyways

1) Logic - I always seem to find different ways to connect different concepts and create solutions. Where its a physics problem or a problem with a school trip I was planning... this definitely contributes to my academic success and just general problem solving. I usually have weird ways of looking at things and some people find other ways to doing it, usually easier, but my way usually leads to a better understanding of it... helps when I try to teach something

2) Patience/Understanding - There have been so many times that I've heard about how I make such a great tutor or I'm really good with kids. That comes from my patience and my ability to understand what a person is feeling, what they know, and how to approach them.

3) Optimism/Innocence - nothing can put me down. My outlook on life is... well, I think its best stated as I have big dreams. Not just for me, but for the future of the world. No matter what bump comes along, I am usually the one that gets everyone to continue struggling and jump over the bump. My innocence is like a double edged blade. People can see me and know they can trust me, that no evil lies in me. In fact, I remember this one teacher I had... he learned my name by the end of the first day and no one else's. He felt very trusting towards me. He later told me that my innocence was what led him to do that. Also, my innocence also leads me to be very trusting of others... always assuming everyone is good and there to help you - not the case, as I've learned... but I still feel that way.

4) Institution/Empathy - I can sense how someone is feeling from very subtle body language. I just know if something is bothering them or if they are feeling down. It connects with number 2, its one of the reasons I connect with them so well. Because I understand them and can sense what they are feeling without them having to really show any sign of it. I always hate seeing people down and I know that emotions can be contagious. Therefore, I almost never show my emotions when I am down... to protect others from it. I want them to be happy so I always put on a smile and spread the joy.

5) Humility - I know that from what I've written above, this is pretty contradicting... but its true xD One of my teachers who I asked to write a teacher recommendation letter for college actually showed me the letter he wrote - which almost no teachers do to anyone - and almost all he wrote about is my humility. I'm never the one to boast about anything. I will sometimes boast for other's accomplishments and celebrate them, but never mine. Whenever we get tests back and I see that others didn't do quite as well as I did.... when they ask how I did, I just say I did meh.... and then offer to help them... I definitely hate being the center of anything... I don't do anything for recognition - I avoid these types of things - I only do it for others, for me, for the sake of doing it and not having other people worry about it.

10. TheAMan

Uh let's see here.

Intelligence- I have a very fast learning curve and I can pick up on things very quickly. I don't have to ask for help often as I can usually figure it out on my own first.

Patience- As the saying goes "all good things to those who wait." I know this to be true because since I'm so patient, things tend to work out in my favor.

Self restraint-If it wasn't for this, I couldn't tell you how many fights I would have been in. There are plenty of times when I just want to strangle people but I refuse to do it. I prefer to beat people with my mind instead of my fists.

Forgiveness- It's become easier and easier for me to forgive people who have done me wrong. I used to hold grudges and stuff but not anymore. I just refuse to let my enemies have power over me and it really works out for me.

Logic- I notice a lot of people have this as well. For me it's just easy to break things down to a point where they make sense. To me logic is more common sense than anything else.

11. Gen

Gen

I like this one ^_^. I'm actually a little different in that my mind works in such a way that I am able to concentrate on anything I do quite easily, however, I am unable to only concentrate on one thing at a time. To put it simple, I use ALOT more "brainpower" is rightfully normal, making relaxation actually mentally strenuous. I literally "think to much"......................

The bright side I'm very smart so I guess it balances out, right? RIGHT :tears:????????

12. Lark

Lark Guest

I just died of laughter. Mean Girls forever!

I can't think of anything particularly great about me right now, but I might do one later. I dunno :\

13. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Foresight: I know what someone means (or wants) before they say it.
    Face read: I can look at someone’s body language and know things.
    Multitask: I can do up to 3 things at once.
    Self-Reliance: I can take care of myself and am fine with begin alone. Sometimes I even prefer it.
    Indomitable: Nearly impossible to make me feel guilt.

14. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

1. persistence
    2. persistence
    3. a dash of creativity
    4. persistence
    5. persistence

Seriously, I always say its my only strength, besides creativity :frowning2:. Its the number one quality people tell me I have. Kind of makes me feel like a talentless workhorse, but hey, at least Im persistent!

Im like a pitbull, once I decide I want something, I latch on with my jaws and dont let go!

15. ameliawesome

haha this is an interesting thing to think about.

1. my brain is very good at generating environments. when i dream there are so many intricate details, and i could spend all day inside my imagination. i could spend all day imagining what it's like to be a tree.
    2. i'm also very positive :slight_smile:
    3. my memory is photographic, which can also be annoying because my brain will sometimes take a snapshot of something awful and it'll pop into my head at random times. this happens with sounds, too.
    4. i have some sort of energy connection with children and non-human animals.
    5. i don't know if this counts as a mental power, but i seem to have remarkably good luck. i relate this to my positivity, though, so yeah :slight_smile:

16. Whatevs91

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Good idea.

1) Listening - I am a very patient listener. I love to hear people's stories and about their emotions.

2) Questioning - Perhaps this isn't always an advantage, but it's definitely a skill I have. I always see different sides to stories, I guess a better word would be 'deep thinker'. I analyse things a lot and am able to see things other's don't.

3) Control - I have a great ability to control myself. I have beaten addictions, and bad habits with just will power. And although i'm not the most well-organized person in the world, i always get the job done.

4) Empathy - Again, this isn't always an advantage, but i am quite an emotional type. I'm the sort who tears up to films, or even when i'm reading inspirational stories on this website! I don't show it as much as i feel it, because I've had to maintain a manly role, but i'm definitely a cadbury cream egg type personality!

5) Psychiatrist in the making - I have always be fascinated in the brain and how people think. This is mainly why i love to listen so much, i love reading people. I have a skill of keeping a very open mind when talking to people, i don't judge, we're all people, we all have feelings. I have been helping on several psych websites for several years, sharing my thoughts, making friends, etc. I love to help people, give insight and advice.

17. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it might not be what you're thinking, i don't remember things involving people usually, but i remember dates, numbers, lists/associations (eg what people were/are in what band)... I usually have to meet someone 5 or 6 times before i remember their name, or sometimes to even remember that i have met them at all. I don't remember what i did yesterday, or last week, without some real effort... I don't remember anything i had planned to do today, or tomorrow, or whether or not i have double booked for the weekend. That's the flip side of it all >.< but I remember a LOT of random things, like pi to 50 or so decimal places, all of the flags of all the world's countries (and many territories), the entire periodic table including atomic weights, isotope abundance (on earth), half-lives, electronegativities (pauling)... i love trivia nights =P

I've also got what seems to be a really good audial memory. I can identify anyone i've heard before just by hearing their voice or a recording of it, can identify songs from hearing just a split second of them, no matter what part of the song is played... Whether or not it's connected, i'm also able to mimic people really well, i can do several flawless accents and impressions. People love to hear my Herbert, the pedophile from family guy... Well, some people anyway, some others actually get freaked out or frightened by it =P

18. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

1. Stubborn. :bang: a blessing and a curse...
    2. Creative.:slight_smile:...'nuff said
    3. Empathetic/Understanding.:thumbsup:Can relate to people
    4. Humor.:roflmao: Cheering people up!
    5. Observant.:grin: I can read people/body language

19. Aldrick

That's freaky. I'm the exact opposite! I can't really remember anything with dates, numbers or lists, but I have an insanely good ability to remember things involving people. For example, if I'm meeting someone for the first time and we make small talk, during the small talk he tells me how his son just made the High School soccer team. Six months later, I meet the guy for a second time, and I'm able to recall all that information and ask how his son is doing in his soccer games. It sometimes freaks people out that I can remember details like that. If it's important to someone and they are really emotional when they tell me, I can recall things for a VERY long time.

In some cases, I can remember individual conversations with people for YEARS. The more I interact with someone, the firmer the memories become because I'm constantly recalling them.

On the other hand, if someone tells me not to forget their birthday on the 6th of August in passing, I have to keep repeating it over in my head until I have a chance to write it down. Had that same person told me not to forget their birthday next week, I would remember it without a doubt, though - simply because no number was associated with it.

For some reason numbers are just too abstract for my brain to hold onto for long periods of time.

I'm the same way, except with people. I struggle to remember what I did yesterday, unless it involved someone else. I couldn't tell you what I ate for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. However, I could remember if I ate lunch with someone last Wednesday. I can remember what they ate, what we talked about during the meal (tons of random stuff), and even what they thought of their meal... but at the same time not remember what I ate during that same meal. :lol:

I'm not very good at mimicry, but I do have the insanely good ability to pick out someones voice in a crowd. I have a strange ability to pick up very subtle hints in changes of tone; it's one of the cues I use when trying to determine someones emotional state. People actually talk slightly different depending on their mood. Add on to that my good ability to read facial expressions and body language, and it really helps me get a good read on people.

20. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. Sympathy
    I care about others and can often sympathize with what they're feeling. I want everyone close to me to be happy. ^-^

2. Sharp Memory
    I don't have a perfect memory or anything, but I do have a pretty good memory. Sometimes I can remember a phrase that someone had said from years ago, in the exact tone they said it, or like I remember a lot of digits of pi.

3. Confidence
    I never let what anything anyone says put me down (or at least I try not to). I don't care what people think of me.

4. Bravery
    Though sometimes I don't think I'm brave :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I've been told it a lot. I guess it's because I'll do things even if I'm terrified of them (Wait, that's bravery isn't it?). Like for example, I used to be terrified of needles (traumatic experience when I was younger) and became diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when I was 8. I learned to deal with having to take shots everyday instead of letting it get to me. My parents say I'm brave because of that. ^^

5. Energetic
    I'm full of energy. I'll jump around and skip around the room just for the fun of it. And I love to run! :grin: