1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running!

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by BudderMC, Aug 2, 2012.

1. BudderMC

So, I've been seriously thinking about taking up running the last couple of days. In no way am I really in shape, so I'm pretty new to this. Definitely going to be running outside though, probably at night too since it's cooler, mostly because I can't stand treadmills and stuff.

Any general tips or things I should know about before I go ahead? Eating times, precautionary tales, etc. I could search the Internet for this stuff, but I'd be there for days weeding through all the info on different sites... I figured it's probably easier to just ask someone who actually does run. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Thanks guys!

2. prism

[All of this is from experience, I would double-check my health habit recommendations before committing to them. Everyone is different.]

Running is so good for you, but running on concrete is so bad for your kneeeeees! I try to only run on the track at my school's gym, but I don't really have a choice when I'm home for vacations. It's an awesome hobby to have and I hope to one day have the endurance to run a marathon.

1) Run on an empty stomach
    I'm still learning about eating habits myself, and what works best for me. At first I thought the running pains I was getting happened to everyone who was starting out, but soon found out it was because I had food in my stomach! It's a terrible side pain caused by food that's being bounced around inside of you. Trying to time when to run on an empty stomach is hard, so I just run every morning before I eat. I live in a questionable neighborhood, so to avoid being abducted and shipped back to the old country, I run at 5AM.

2) WATERRR.
    I always drown myself when I work out (weights). Drinking too much water can actually be dangerous, but I can't help it. I drink it like I've never seen it before. Apparently it's not good to drink water while you run, I'm sure there are many different opinions on the matter. It's important to stay hydrated, so drink before and after you run. Since I run on a track/outside I never have water with me anyway, so I wait to drink until I'm completely done running.

3) Stretching
    I'm too impatient to stretch. I'm so stubborn, my brother had to force me to stretch when we were gym partners one summer. I'm not going to list all of the stretches you should do, but you should definitely look them up to avoid shin splints, tears, and any other injuries! I messed up my right shin last year, it's not fun. Took months to heal.

Precautionary tales? My friend got hit by a truck because he had his headphones in and wasn't paying attention to traffic.

#2 prism, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  3. speedracing22

I run a few times a week. I would say the most important thing is to drink a lot of water (but not too much). I drink a bottle about 30 minutes before I go running, and another bottle after I run.

Also, for me, I can't run after I eat. I need to wait at least two hours. Some of my friends eat and then run right away, but I can't do that.

Since you are running outside, maybe get device that tracks how long and how fast your run? That way you can calculate how many calories you're burning.

If you don't want to spend the money, you can also drive in your car along the path you plan to run and use the trip button by the odometer to see how far it is.

4. Jeffery

Look up barefoot running... I play American football as a position that's job is to hold off other players which u won't believe does to your knees lol. So when I I found out about barefoot running and it works and if it doesn't u r doing it wrong... Lol trust me. And if your trying to get into it barefoot is perfect because u have to ease ur way into barefoot running.

5. Ridiculous

Don't be too concerned about drinking too much water - you have to drink a silly amount for it to be a proper health concern. The worst that is going to happen is you may feel sick if you drink too much and exercise, as it'll all be sloshing around inside you.

6. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I run all the time. I usually don't eat before I run because it makes me sick and I feel like it gives me side stitches, but if I do eat then I just eat something really light like a granola bar or a few pretzels or some fruit or something. And also, you definitely need to have the right pair of shoes for you, and replace them often. I read somewhere that they should be replaced every 200 miles but I've taken shoes farther than that and been alright, but I definitely felt the difference, and wouldn't push it too far. Once they start to take on a lot of wear and tear, you will definitely feel that in your legs the next day and it's not fun.

Plus, whenever someone on EC tries to get into running, I always link them to the Couch to 5k program. It's a structured running plan that's super easy to do, but it really does work. A lot of people try to take on too much too fast, end up hurting themselves, and then never want to take up running again. Don't be that person, because running really is so therapeutic.

Cool Running | The Couch-to-5K ® Running Plan

7. speedboy3

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Start with short runs. I remember a few years ago I stopped running for a while and then went strait into 2 mile minimum runs every day....ended up with a stress fracture about a week later, not fun.

As for eating, pasta is really good before a run (not right before a run, but a couple hrs before), and protien is good for afterwards, and drink alot of water! If you aren't hydrated, bad things happen.

#7 speedboy3, Aug 2, 2012
  8. Hiems

I definitely recommend C25K as Kidd had posted above. If you do have an MP3 player, you can download podcasts from this website:
    Running Into Shape

Each podcast follows the C25K program. At each time interval, e.g. end of brisk 5 minute walk, it will let you know when to start running or walking. These are helpful because you don't have to look at a watch for every time interval.

Clothing: Stay away from cotton and get clothing made of synthetic fabrics like polyester or rayon. These will wick off sweat to keep you comfortable.

Eating: I think this is where you have to experiment, since not everyone's the same. You can try eating a small amount of fresh fruit, bread, or bagel. Avoid foods containing high fat or protein, such as hot dogs and hamburgers, before a run, since these take longer to digest.

I run in the mornings without eating beforehand. I just drink a cup of cold water, wait for 30 minutes to an hour, and then go for my run. Once I come back, I enjoy breakfast. The key is to do what works for you.

I think an important tip is that though the program is structured, you're not pressured to follow it verbatim. Sometimes the next week is difficult, so you can always repeat the same week. I made it to the fourth week and could not run for five minutes straight, so I went back to the third week. Now I can handle the fourth week just fine.

#8 Hiems, Aug 2, 2012
  9. redstormrising

i recommend the couch to 5k program as well. i finished it in early may, then did a 10k program, and now i am training for a half marathon. it's a little crazy to think that when i started couch to 5k i could barely run for a quarter mile, but now i can run for 10 miles. i'd never been able to run in my entire life until doing this program, it's really doable and really works.

10. Billeraphon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So glad you are thinking about running. Just a few things.

1) smile. Only run when it makes you feel good and only run as far as you can while pushing your comfort zone. Some discomfort is good, pain is bad and means you need to adjust something.

2) running on concrete is perfectly fine. Read up on barefoot running or running form. Most people run with poor form which causes injury, not concrete. Again start with short distances and work up to longer ones

3) everyone has little tips and tricks that often conflict with one another. Do what's right for you.... Including ignoring my amateur advice.

11. Brenny

Not really a tip but one thing I do enjoy about going running is listening to great energetic music. It seriously is a great motivator. Sometimes I even get kind of excited to run just thinking about blasting my favorite tunes and just getting into it. Don't think of running as a chore. Try to make it fun. Blast your music. Enjoy the scenery and fresh air. Oh and taking a partner can also make a huge difference. You tend to push each other.

12. pitabread514

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I use to do a lot of running, would like to get back into it. My first piece of advice from my experience, especially since you are not use of running, is do don't give up immediately. If you can only run for 2 minutes the first day, try to run for 2.5 the second day, etc. You build up stamina gradually the more you run!

13. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do run in the evenings. You may or may not have come upon this bit of information I want to share.

When you run, the impact you feet makes with the ground causes an impact on the joints in your knees. Being young this isn't really a problem, but it can impact your life severely when you get older (40+). So it is essential that you buy the right kind of running shoes that help minimise the impact on your joints in your knees. Trust me on this, you'll thank me when you get older.

Also see if you can get a partner who can run with you on set safe roads and parks in your neighbourhood. Too many people who run solo disappears or are killed when alone. I don't say it will happen to you or in your neighbourhood, but as I believe, rather safer than sorry.

Also, if you have an ipod and the right kind of shoes, you can track how much you've run, how much calories you have burned (usually I don't care about calories, but always like to know how far i've run. This is every important, since you know your body better than anyone, and to know how far you run is important, as it can help you to not over exert yourself.

Don't try to run fast at all, this is no competition, rather, get into a comfortable pace for you, which you know you can hold for a long time. Too many people run as fast as they can, but in the end can not run nearly as far or hold it at that pace for very long.

If you can, run in parks or somewhere in nature that has water points every few miles or so. This is important to stop your body from dehydrating very quickly. I myself run around a very large lake, so I often go diving into the lake to cool my self off if I think my temperature is running to high from the exercise, and then I also drink some bit of water.

14. redstormrising

this. i've run completely barefoot on concrete w/o problems. i usually use "barefoot"/minimalist shoes, though

15. Chrissouth53

The C25K program is very good. The key is to start slow, walk/run to build up your capabilities. Don't push too hard... it is the main cause of injuries.

I've been running for years and was always a heel striker. After constant injuries to knees, hips and ankles, plus stress fractures that sidelined me for a year, I came back and started mid-foot striking. I cannot tell you what a difference that has made for me. Look into it.

Another thing with the C25K is that it will set a goal for you, which is verry important to keep you motivated.

Welcome to the running club.

16. BudderMC

Thanks everyone for all the tips. I think I'll check out the C25K program, it looks pretty good at first glance. And I definitely know about building myself up slowly; I had to teach myself the same thing back in high school gym when we had to run as part of our mandatory test.

Some of you mentioned iPod apps that track distance - does anyone have a good one? If it's free that would be even better :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Also, with regards to running on concrete, what about that turf-y material outdoor tracks are made of? I could go use the one on campus, it's only like a 15 minute walk away, which I guess doubles nicely as a good warm-up/cool-down time.

17. Chrissouth53

One that I use, with the word "Keeper" in it's name (google it) has a free version and a pay version. I had been using it for a while but recently it tracked my running on water and jumping off bridges onto highways. It may be the GPS feature got a little funky but before this it was a great app to have on my iPhone.

18. suninthesky

Three things:

1. Do everything gradually.

2. Take care of yourself. (sleep, eat, drink, electrolytes, stretch)

3. Do toe taps (quite a lot of them) to avoid shin splints.

If you ever want to talk about running, PM me. It's one of my biggest passions!

BTW I use minimalist shoes too - form is veeerrryy important. Be careful using minimalist stuff though, if you don't have good form and don't build up you WILL get hurt. Might use cushioned shows until you're stronger.

#18 suninthesky, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  19. Montgomery

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi all
    There are many type of exercise for fitness but running is most useful for legs and body fitness especially for belly.And fresh juices and fresh fruit are also good for stomach.After dinner 15 to 30 minute walk its good for stomach.

20. andrewunchained

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    YES! Good for you, running is excellent for keeping/getting in shape. You might also get amazing abs :eek:

Always run in the morning (Before 8), that way you boost your metabolism for the rest of the day. Before you start, drink a cup of straight green tea. Your running should be 30 sec-1 min sprints of your full speed, with intervals of a minute of slow walking in between, repeated for about 15 minutes. Then do it again if you want. Then cool down with a five-minute jog.
    That's it. Do this every other day, and throughout the day try to eat less carbs and fats, more whole-wheat products, tons of protein-y meats and eight glasses of water a day.\
    Good luck!

/fitnesscoachmode