1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transguy with genital health worries.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by MusicIsLife, Aug 12, 2012.

1. MusicIsLife

So I'm trying to word this in order to not confuse anyone, but I've never had a pap smear, I've never been to a gynecologist, and I've also never had penetrative sex.

Because of my gender dysphoria, the concept of getting a pap smear done or going to a gyno is awful for me to even think about, but am I worrying over nothing, or should I force myself to be more active in my genital health?

2. blightedsight

First and foremost, regardless of what you physically have downstairs, you MUST look after it, even if that means making an uncomfortable visit to the doctors.

3. I agree with the poster above me. Also, think of it this way: if you have routine gynecological exams, it will reduce the risk of getting diseases that might require more frequent procedures down there. I know dysphoria can make things uncomfortable, or even seem unbearable, but in the long run, it will be beneficial. If you can, try to find a doctor who is trans-friendly. I know there are a few resources for finding such doctors in the U.S., but I'm not sure about Canada. An online search may yield results for you, if that's something you're interested in.

4. SunSparks

Yes, I definitely recommend that you go see the gyno person. I would also add that you can always ask the nurse on the phone or whoever takes care of the appointments if they would be comfortable with it. I know that you should easily be able to find one that is. And remember, your health is worth a 30 minute wait with maybe 3 other strangers there. I definitely don't think anyone is going to make a scene about anything in the waiting room or anywhere there. They may look confused but thats to be expected. I think it shouldn't be too much of an uncomfortable experience for you.

5. Bree

That's actually a common problem with transguys. My school ran a workshop on DIY gynacology, but you still need to make yourself go in. It'll suck, but I think you'd rather do something that sucks than die...

6. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would definitely suggest going to the GYN to get checked out. I know it's uncomfortable but it's important to keep up to date with your health. It's better to get preventative health screenings than to get treatment screenings if that makes sense. Doing it now can prevent trouble in the future. I agree that you could try to find a trans-friendly doctor. Regardless it's really important that all people go to the doctor for genital check-ups.