1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worried about my appetite

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Zaio, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Hi EC,

I'm not really sure exactly what the problem is, but I'm pretty sure something is wrong. To start off, I am pretty skinny, I'm not underweight at all, but I am thinner than most of my peers.

I used to get 2 pizzas from Dominos occasionally due to a special offer, I would usually eat 1 pizza over the course of a day, eating the 2 within 2 days, sometimes before.

Now... Lately I have not had any appetite at all, I would not eat anything all day, go on bike rides for 2-3 hours, come home and still not eat anything because I'm just simply not hungry.

I ordered a pizza and 3 sides a few days ago and ate half the pizza over 3 days, and only finished 1 of the sides, barely touching the others. I have been going for jogs in the afternoon too, so surely I would work up an appetite?

Just to note: I am very sure I am not anorexic, I have absolutely no problem with my weight, if anything I would like to gain some weight. The only reason I go for bike rides and jogs while eating nothing is because I want to gain stronger leg muscles, and that I'm simply not hungry.

This really isn't me trying not to eat, I really am not hungry at all. Usually I'd leave something like this but this has been happening a while now and I'm starting to get worried, as I can be very active sometimes and not eat anything. Lately I have been skipping breakfast, luch and having little to nothing for dinner, because again I'm not hungry. The even stranger thing is, I appear to be losing nor gaining any weight.

Any ideas?

#1 Zaio, Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2012
  2. Ridiculous

The first thing that jumps out to me is: are you living on just pizzas? What else do you eat? What is your diet like?

If the only thing you eat when you are hungry is pizza, then that is probably part of the problem.

3. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Nah, I was just using that as an example, but I do eat rather a lot of pizza.

The same applies to absolutely anything I eat now, I can't eat much of anything, yet my weight never changes either.

4. TheDude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, all I can think of is, have you been feeling a bit down lately? Or are you feeling stressed or depressed about something that's going on in your life? Let me tell you in advance, I'm not anything remotely to a doctor, but I have find that being stressed or depressed can make you lose your appetite that could last for days, even when you would think you would get hungry after jogging or going for bike rides.
    If I were you, I would stop going for a jog or a bike ride until my appetite is back to normal. If you do sports without nothing in your stomach, you could end up forcing your body to use other sources of energy such as your bones, and even more to an extreme, your body could shut down. I'm not trying to scare you, only bring you awareness.
    Another question, have you ever felt dizzy while jogging or bike riding?

5. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Well the thing is I have pretty much been depressed almost all the duration of the past 3 years, I really fail to see why now would be the time that I would lose my appetite, infact lately during my jogs I have been questioning my own philosophy and future plans which I always procrastinated, and now am feeling more confident about my future and not as depressed as usual, so if anything depression is becoming non-existent now.

Yeah that's probably good advice, I'll lay off the bike riding and tone down the jogging till my appetite is back. I have never felt dizzy as such, but I have a few times while jogging (never bike riding) experienced orthostatic hypertension, not sure if that's any use to you at all.

Thanks for the current advice though.

#5 Zaio, Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2012
  6. Gen

Gen

First, I would lay off the exercise until you go see a doctor or regain your appetite, because since your body doesnt have anything to burn, than it will start burning your muscles instead. So its rather pointless :frowning2:.

About your appetite, I would make it known and go as your doctor, because that isnt very healthy for a teenage. There are various different things that can cause loss of appetite so I would not get too worried. However, either way I would probably refrain from eating that much pizza in such a short amount of days. Some people, such as myself, can eat unhealthy and still keep their same size, however, it doesnt make us immune to issues based on poor diet.

7. Ianthe

If you were in a growth spurt, or preparing for a growth spurt, you would have been more hungry. Since you are 15, my first guess would be that you previously had a heightened appetite for reasons related to growing, and/or the onset of puberty, which causes a lot of changes that require a lot of energy.

If you start to lose weight, you should probably see a doctor. But since you say you aren't losing weight, that probably means that your body isn't using as much energy right now, and that's why you don't need as much food. It certainly doesn't sound like you've really stopped eating.

8. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Hmm ok then, thanks. I'll just wait a while and see if either my appetite remains constant or my weight changes, then I think a doctors appointment is in order.