1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bug bites

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Sesshomaru, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Sesshomaru

I've recently just moved into a new apartment and everything is pretty fine except one problem. I keep getting bitten by something and I have no idea what it/they are. It doesn't happen every night, but often enough to where now it's becoming a problem since I just woke up with 3 bite marks on my hands and with me working as a sales associate in a retail store, this just isn't good. I never feel the bite at all and only know there's a new mark when I happen to feel the bitten area itching or I see it. I can post a picture or two of my hands to show what they look like if that'd help anyone identify what's biting me. I also need to find a way to get rid of the bugs or keep them off of me.

I'm thinking they're spiders since they leave small red welts on my skin which itch and last for a few days/a week at times. And I haven't seen any mosquitoes inside plus I don't think a mosquitoe would be able to fly inside and under my blanket which I usually have wrapped pretty tightly around me at night.

2. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

Talk to the landlord? Maybe he or she knows.

3. Sesshomaru

Considering she barely speaks English and is extremely cheap about everything, I'd doubt I could get any info out of her if she even has any.

4. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

Oh my.. what does she speak? Maybe you can ask neighbors if they have the same problem.

5. Ridiculous

It's probably not a spider, as they are unlikely to bite you unless you are agitating them. Something that feeds on you (like bed bugs - which can leave red marks that last for a while) is more likely, as they'll actively try to bite you.

6. rg93

Oh dear, this is mysterious and creepy indeed.

Like Ridiculous said, it's more likely to be bed bugs, as strange as it sounds. And yes, they do genuinely exist, which is why you shouldn't let em bite you! :grin:

Try looking up a way to kill them, i'm not quite sure if conventional bug spray works on them.

Edit: It could also just be fleas, which are extremely hard to get rid of. :confused:

#6 rg93, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  7. KaraBulut

Bedbugs are more common than people realize. Several upscale hotels in major cities have been fighting them recently.

The other possibility would be fleas which seem to persist after previous residents (and their cats) move out.

You might want to hire an exterminator to come in and spray to eliminate any unwanted visitors lurking in the walls and crevices of your apartment.

8. Sesshomaru

Bedbugs? I've googled pictures of those and they look huge...wouldn't I notice them in my bed? And as for fleas, that could be it but I've never seen any here either.

9. rg93

Well, i'm not sure if this is a myth or not, but i heard that they hide inside or under your matress during the day and only come out during the night.

It's probably BS, judging by the fact that I can't even keep a straight face while typing this, but it's worth a look. I'd take Kara's advice over mine (which would have been "KILL DEM WITH FIIRE!") and go find an exterminator.

10. Sesshomaru

I've checked out my matress too many times within the past few days for them to be under/in there unless they're microscopic. I'm guessing the most likely one would be fleas then like you guys have suggested.

The exterminator would be ideal too but I don't have that kind of money for that. My mom had a little chiahuahua which I'm guessing probably has fleas although I haven't seen any on her and she rarely scratches. Anyone know of a way of getting rid of fleas without "flea bombing" the whole house where everyone has to leave for a few hours? That would be ideal but my step-loser has gone and gotten himself placed on house arrest so he can't leave (though I wouldn't mind setting them off with him here >.>).

11. oblina

I have had bedbugs before ( i actually had to move apartments because I could not get rid of them) and they dont just live in your mattress, and many times nest in other places. Flip it upside down, check your boxsprings, the edges of your walls, outlets and places like that. Watch to see if you are only getting them at night, as bedbugs sleep during the day and are most active between one and four in the morning

12. KaraBulut

Bedbugs are hard to spot. They're vary from the size of the head of a pin to the size of a small tick. They're usually reddish-brown. They're also masters at hiding in creases in the mattress, in rugs, towels, pillows, etc.

But when patients start talking about waking up with welts and bugbites in the morning on their back or arms or around their ankles, that's the thing we usually suspect.

13. rabbit1

rabbit1 Guest

a can of raid for bugs works great for fleas and things like that the green can is the best!!!

14. Sesshomaru

Ok I've checked for bedbugs all throughout my bed and room even for bedbugs and none were there so I'm guessing it must be fleas. Does anyone know of a good repellent I could use on my skin to keep them off? I'm going to let off a few foggers/flea bombs later today but I'd still want something just in case. I'd rather use a cream type of repellent too if possible since I dislike the sprays.

15. KaraBulut

I'm not a fan of foggers either. Be sure to read the instructions- especially the parts about how many to use for the size of your room, what you need to cover and how long you need to stay out of your home.

Generally with fleas, you need to worry about areas that have carpet. And you may need to repeat since the eggs aren't always affected by the sprays.

16. Sesshomaru

I have hardwood floors so worrying about carpet wouldn't be a problem. I'll probably need quite a few since although I'm the only person in the house getting bitten, I'm pretty sure they'd pop up again from another room just to attack me.