1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I seem to have shrunk

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Catkin, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Catkin

I've always been pretty slim, even though I'm a five foot tall girl and can easily eat as much or more than my dad. I like baggy clothes, so changes in weight are hard to see, and we don't own scales, but I think I've lost an awful lot of weight recently. (I suddenly fit into children's clothes) I'm not trying to lose weight, and I don't think I've been eating less than normal. Does anyone know what could be causing this (pretty significant) weight loss? And is it something I should be worried about?

2. SunSparks

A lot of stress can cause excessive weight loss. If you see yourself losing weight for a continuous period of time, you should visit the doctor. Obviously, with you being slim already, weightloss can lead to a lack of fat, which is dangerous in many levels.

Also, don't stuff yourself full of junk food to help "solve" it. Just google healthy ways to gain weight and read some articles. But, if it is something that wasn't just this one time thing yo noticed, definitely go visit a doctor.

3. Ridiculous

As above, unexpected weight loss is a cause of concern.

However I would try to find out whether you actually have lost weight by weighing yourself - although this might not be much help if you don't know what you used to weigh for comparison. Being able to wear children's clothes now isn't a very accurate measure, unless they are the same clothes that you couldn't previously wear beforehand (I'm assuming that you are just talking children's clothes in general, which come in a wide range of sizes).

4. Catkin

No, I was talking about old clothes of mine, which I grew out of when I was thirteen or so, but which are now the only clothes I can find in the house that don't fall off me. I'll try to find out what I actually weigh (once I can track down some scales - might take a while).
    I just find this really weird, because if anything I've been doing less exercise than normal , so it's not like I'm doing a lot of activity which would be burning off calories.
    I don't think I've lost enough weight to be really worried about yet. Wouldn't want this to keep going at this rate though. I'll go to the doctor if I have to, but I'm always a bit reluctant to do that. How much weight loss is enough to get worried about? (Basically at what point do I have to do something about this.
    I didn't know stress could cause you to lose weight. Um, could feeling a bit down do that too?