1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is This Depression?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Midnight Angel, Jan 24, 2008.

1. I've been sleeping crazy amounts lately. I'll go to bed at 11 at night, come home from school (this is midterm week mind you so I'm home by 10 every day because we have early release), I take a nap until like 5/6 PM then go back to sleep by 11/12. That's a lot of sleep to me and I was wondering if it was like depression or something. I can't explain the fatigue otherwise because I'm not active enough to become that exhausted that I need all this sleep.

2. Brett

Hypersomnia alone doesn't define depression. If you seriously believe that you have depression, then Google "depression symptoms" to get a full list of symptoms. And if you show most or all of those symptoms, then you should probably seek medical advice. Hope I helped!

3. Luroon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It could be mono, have you been around anyone that may be contagious? If it's not that, there is a possibility that your midterms have you stressing out at bit and your body's reaction is fatigue.

4. tiptoerainbows

Yeah, stress can make you sleepy.

5. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

I don't think just by sleeping patterns you can define depression. Are you feeling depressed? Do you not enjoy things that you used to enjoy? Are your eating habbits the same? You may want to ask yourself questions like that and wiki depression to see the symptoms and if you match most of them then you should see a phycologist. I'm pretty sure im bi-polar.

6. Jim1454

Mono would have other symptons associated with it too... so if you're otherwise feeling fine it likely isn't mono - at least that was my experience.

But I'd agree - sleeping alot isn't necessarily a sign of depression. But if you're feeling down and don't want to really face the world (family, friends, homework) and you think that's the reason you're going back to bed - not because you're really tired - then I'd say it could very well be depression. That's often how I 'dealt' with it - I'd just stay in bed.

I don't get the impression that you're feeling that way... so it could just be your body telling you that you've been up too late for too many nights (chatting on EC perhaps!?!?!) and studying and you need to catch up in terms of your rest.

Good luck.

7. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

These irregular sleeping patterns mean nothing alone, it is a symptom of depression but it does not indicate depression in itself. It is saying somebody who gets cold sweats has advanced HIV.

If this continues and other symptoms develop along with a feeling of "detachment" then i would consult your family doctor.

8. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It depends on why you sleep, if on any level you are sleeping to avoid having to be awake it may be depression or something like that. I would say start looking more closely at why you sleep and what kind of mood you are in when you go to bed. It may just be hypersomnia though

9. 24601

Maybe you're making up for your super weird/short past sleeping patterns...

10. Hollywood

I definatly wouldn't call it depression, but you really need a more normal sleep pattern...too much sleep isn't healthy. It's also not productive, obviously.